Ignition Relocation and possible E-start Removal? 1st timer in need of advice.

Garrett411

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Gang.

I'm new to the forum and the XS world. Truth be told i just bought my first XS today. A 1979 650. I am looking to cafe it out with a flat brat seat & drag bars. So far i am in love with it but am encountering some questions.

First, i would like to relocate the ignition to below the tank somewhere or and least rid my self off the ugly gauge cluster on the bars. Any ideas from this pool of wisdom?

Second, i am planning on pod filters and would like to rid the bike of the battery and e - start possibly but i have no idea where to start. If it is too in depth i'd at least like to try and hide the battery and the ugly mess of wires. I am going for a simple, clean look from the pods back.

P.s. Although this is my first street bike project, i consider myself semi-mechanically inclined with my motocross background. Also i am a student so cash is a little tight so DIY options are welcome!

Thanks guys!

-Garrett

cant remember the guys name or build name but he was in london/england/uk built a cafe but his idea would work for you. basically he built a tray that fit inbetween the frame hoop. he was able to fit his battery all electronics in it and just had the key switch stick out the bottom a lil bit. ill try to find.

To go battery less you need to replace the stock charging system for a PMA. That's a fair chunk of change.
If you remove the starter you can mount a smaller battery in it's place or under the seat.
If you use pod filters the K&N style pleated element pods are not the best option. They cause excess air flow turbulence through the carbs, this causes a poor vacuum signal for the slides. This causes off idle to mid range flat spots.
The shorter and more tapered the worse the effect, If you must run them use the long straight ones as this minimizes the effect.
The round straight foam style work much better. They eliminated the carb issues I spent weeks trying to tune out.
As far as the key switch, yes it can be moved most any where. You might have to reroute wires and build a mount but it can be done.
Leo

I hope that's a 1979 Special you plan to chew on. 1979 was the last year for the Standard model, and it would be a damn shame to see one of those torn up.

i just looked and it's a special. Thanks for the help guys! Any ideas for fabricating a boxt that's low profile and will hide the battery and it's ratsnest of wires?

One of my last 50 posts showed how I eliminated my battery box without welding, using only a few bucks worth of parts from Home Depot. It looked good. Based on your questions though, I think you're getting in over your head a little. Start small. Leave the battery in place. The side covers look nicer than you think, and there's more than just a battery you have to worry about if you eliminate the cage.

Do the handlebars and gauge cluster. It will look better than you think. The move onto the seat. Check out vintage customs / Weston bodge for American made flat seats.

Then ride your bike... A lot.

cheers,
Adam

To relocate the ignition switch, I made a small bracket for it and installed it on the triple tree. I also installed some mini gauges. I left the battery box, but did some grinding and powder coated it and relocated the relays, regulator, and wires to clean it up.
IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

Hi Garrett,
going PMA/aftermarket ignition/batteryless will cost you $500+ in parts alone.
You can replace the rototiller bars and reshape the seat for less than $100.
You choose.

Back