Importing a US bike into Canada

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I got a bud up in Saskatoon coming to Wisconsin. I think I have him convinced he should ride a motorcycle home for fun and to help pay for the trip. So any of you north of the border guys done this? Any good, bad things to watch for? I am thinking a 80's 90's battle wagon, oriental full dresser. How hard its it to register import insure a US titled bike? What needs to be done before he can legally ride it over the border? I might do this myself some day. Ride a bike up and fly back.

I built a sporty bobber a couple of years ago in a paughco frame so it got a "custom built" title. The guy who bought it was in Ontario, and he said he had to leave it in a storage locker in Buffalo (?) for a few weeks before they would let him take it across. Im not really sure what the reason was for that, and being able to ride one across might be easier.
Another idea would be for him to take it across "to do some work" for the owner who later decides to sell it...

What is it with all the xs650s in Wisconsin? Must have more of them there per capita than anywhere else in the country.

As it so happens, I bought mine there a couple of years ago and imported it into Manitoba. No big hassles so long as you have all your ducks in a row. I didn't ride mine back, I trailered it but the process is similar.

Firstly, make sure you have a clear title to the bike, or else you can only bring it back as "salvage", usually meaning it can never be registered to ride on the road.

Next, check for any safety recalls on the year and model. Those HAVE to be fixed (with proof thereof) before it goes across the border. I know, it sounds silly on a 30 year old bike, but thems the rules. I was lucky, mine was a 1977 with no recalls. Had it been a 78, there was a recall on leaky petcocks. You can just Google the recall list, or check the Yamaha website.

Because the bike is older than 15 years, you don't have to worry about all the paper work regarding pollution equipment checks.

Your HAVE to notify the American side of the border crossing you intend to bring the bike back across at least 72 hours before hand. They will want a copy of the title. You used to have to fax it to them, but you can now email them a jpeg of the title. I also included a shot of the serial number sticker on the steering head just to make sure. They don't need a bill of sale, they are only interested in the title. If all this is in place, you will spent only about 15 minutes at the American side. Basically they just compare the serial number on the title to the serial number on your bike and you are good to go. I don't even think there is any fee for this and I don't recall if there is a special form.

Since you are driving yours back to Saskatoon, you will need insurance. You can register the bike in Saskatchewan, either fully or just with a temporary permit, which allows you to transport it back (I had neither, since I trailered mine). Another option is to get a temporary insurance policy in Wisconsin.

Once at the Canadian border, there will be more paper work. They will want to see the bill of sale and title. There is a lengthy yellow form regarding manufacturer, model, year, recalls, mileage, whether it is allowed to be imported, etc. You will need a copy of this form (at least here in Manitoba) before you can fully register the bike.

You will have to pay either the PST or GST, can't remember which. No duty on older bikes. If you only payed one of the taxes, you pay the other one when the bike is fully registered.

In Manitoba, the vehicle has to pass a safety test (brakes, lights, horn, etc) before it can be fully registered. To my surprise, they allowed the MPH speedometer for that year. I assumed that I would have needed a Kilometer speedo. Check things ahead of time such a brake lining thickness, headlight aim, drum and disk thickness, high and low beams, brake lights, signal lights, and sometimes fenders are even required. You can save a second trip (and fee) if you make sure all is well before getting the safety certificate. BTW, you can do all of this with a temporary registration.

Hope that answers most of your questions, if not, fire away. If I think of anything else, I will post.

It took me less than an hour to get through both the American and Canadian customs offices, just make sure you have all your paper work.

resto

Wow that's great info Resto Just what I was looking for, thanks.
So did it matter if the title was still in a US owners name? We can do a quick transfer here in Wisconsin but that would be expensive for little gain. Did you print out a recall list? Do they check also or just trust what you find?
I would be happy to hear of others experiences good or bad.
My bud had previously moved there with his 10 year old Civic, He had to give up and bring it back to Wisconsin and sell it, he could not get it a Canadian title.

Not sure how it would work if the title was left in the U.S. owners name. I don't think the new Canadian owner could get it across the border, basically importing it. I suppose the bike could come across with the U.S. owner, as a "visit", but sooner or later it will have to go back to the U.S. customs side so they can compare the VIN to the title. They give you a little slip of paper that you need on the Canadian side to import it.

I printed out a copy of the recall list to show customs, but he wasn't too concerned. You could probably get by (especially on an old bike) just stating that you checked. I doubt they would go to the trouble of checking themselves.

gggGary, we don't really has the equivalent of a motor vehicle title here. Believe it not, you can register a vehicle (so long as it wasn't imported) with just a bill of sale. They still check the VIN for anything suspicious and would prefer that you show some form of registration to prove you actually own it, but it isn't technically necessary.

Purplezinger, I don't think they have the Kaw W800 up here. If they did, I would be looking at one myself. The last year they were available here was 2001. I kept checking eBay for one before I bought my xs650, but they were too far away or too expensive. Would make a hell of a cafe racer though!

resto

Quote waht is it with XS650s in Wisconsin.
We can't help it, us Wisconsonians are just naturally smart!

Back