In a pickle.

rusty rocket

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
O.k. heres whats going on. Trying to get my 81 up and running. Last year before I tore it apart what little riding i did would run the battery down. I bought a hhb pma and it says that the tci doesnt work with the pma so you have to run a pamco or go back to points. Mike has been out of stock for the pamco for the tci bikes and who knows when it will be back in stock. My question is can you run the pamco with the e advancer on the tci bikes(mikes has that one in stock as well as pamco pete) HELP I want to ride this thing before to snow flys again.

Hey, Rusty, you've probably seen some of the other threads here on Pamco installs, but check to see if both points plate screw holes exist.

Plus, I don't understand why a TCI wouldn't work with a PMA as long as you're using a battery and not a capacitor.

Hey, Rusty, you've probably seen some of the other threads here on Pamco installs, but check to see if both points plate screw holes exist.

Plus, I don't understand why a TCI wouldn't work with a PMA as long as you're using a battery and not a capacitor.
School me here 2many. whats the differents. I emaild pamco pete thinking he would have the answers but i havent got a responce.

The PMA is just a different charging system, but still 3-phase going thru a rectifier. I can understand the TCI being sensitive to under-voltage, and electrical 'noise', but I don't see the reason for it not working with a good charging system and battery. Running on capacitor only, I can see the TCI acting up. Does the PMA installation sheet specifically spell this out?

Oh, crap, just figured it out! The PMA doesn't have the ignition trigger/sensor that exists on the stock rotor/stator...

I just want to get this thing up and running. there must be a part in the mikes kit that is back ordered. I just want to find out if theres another way around this problem other than waiting all summer for a part. like i said before the kit for the pamco and e advancer is in stock but I dont know if it works on the tci bikes.

There's a few other posts here where that is done, but you have to put in an advance rod (and cam bushings if necessary), then ensure that the plate can be affixed in the points cover.

Alternatively, can you fix your stock charging system?

Yeah advance rod and bushings needed, they could be used parts because with the e-advance it is held stationary.
I haven't tried to remove bushings from a cam but probably not too hard to do.

This kit shows in stock.

Ultimate Pamco High Output Ignition Kit + New E-Advancer
Ultimate Pamco High Output Ignition Kit + New E-Advancer Photo
XS Performance
Ultimate Pamco High Output Ignition Kit + New E-Advancer

Kit Contains:

Complete assembly with E-Advancer (#14-0903), Ultimate high output XS performance Ignition Coil (#17-6903),

XS Performance Yellow Silicone Copper core Plug Wire set (20" each)(#23-2906), Two 5K NGK spark Plug Caps (XS#23-3113), 1 set of Point Plate Screws(2) & washers(2)(#14-0655), Auto Advance Rod (#14-0650), (3)Drive pin for Auto Advance (#14-0653), and (3) Bushing-Camshaft, Inner (#05-0032)
Part #14-0913 $328.95 USD Kit

Thanks guys. So it sounds like if I spend a little more dough and get the e advance kit I can be riding soon. at this point a few $100 extra Isnt going to make a shit of differents.

Back