In addition to Minton mods, what to do to 76 forks?

Swapping in parts from some later forks would be a new experiment I think. I've never heard about anyone trying it but hey, that's how we learn new things about this bike.

The Minton Mods were originally for the later 35mm forks but I don't see why they couldn't be applied to the earlier ones as long as the number and size of the oil holes in the damper rods are similar. When I first did the Minton Mods to my '78 forks, I waited until I acquired some spare damper rods. I didn't want to mod the only ones I had just in case the experiment didn't work out. You might consider doing the same.

Ok, will wait till I acquire other parts and just ride it, I likely womt know the difference between a good or bad ride.

Most likely, the springs are overdue for replacement. Trying to "fix" a soft front end with adding preload is not a good approach. If you are willing to spend the cash, get emulator valves and linear springs with correct spring rate for your weight. I did this to my RD350, which also has 34 mm forks. A big improvement, period. www.racetech.com

What you could do for the time being is experiment with slightly more than the stock amount of fork oil. This really helps the later forks and I don't see why it wouldn't be beneficial to the earlier ones too. Don't add lots more, just about 1/2 ounce, maybe up to 1 ounce more at most. This reduces the air space above the springs and gives more of an "air spring" effect. It greatly reduces fork dive during braking.

Back