Inconsistent Kickstart

zedsdead

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I just finished a build on a 78 xs650 (il post a build thread soon.) Anyway, heres the issue I'm having. I only have kickstart on the bike right now, I havn't wired the electric start yet. When I go to kickstart the bike, sometimes it starts great after a couple kicks, then runs very nicely. But I can ride it, park and then two hours later go to start it and it won't even try to start. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, it just refuses to start most of the time. I am kicking the bike correctly, finding tdc ect. but still no luck. Any help would be very appreciated.

It just sounds to me like you haven't really found all of the various starting formulas for your bike yet.
In my experience:
When cold, BS38s like a little extra idle. Screw the idle stop screw in an extra turn, flip the choke on, and start the bike. Flip the choke off, and turn the idle stop screw back out and Idle at 1500 for a couple of minutes to warm the bike up. Turn idle down to spec (1200), and ride. As the bike warms up, it uses fuel more and more efficiently, and the idle will slowly creep up. Back the idle screw back out as needed to keep the idle at 1200.
After sitting for a couple of hours you don't need the choke, but it will help to perform the idle stop screw procedure I outlined above. The idle stop screw should turn in and out very easily with your fingers, even if you are wearing gloves. You will get to where you will automatically be able to find it without looking.
If you turn the bike off, and then try to start it up a few minutes later, it will sometimes be flooded. In this case, you need to hold the throttle open when you kick.

Back