Independent cone filters

cafeguy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
would like to remove the stock air box and use two cone filters, im new to carburetors so bare with me, but ive heard that you must rejet your carb if you get independent filters, anyone know the new jet sizes you need? is it that simple?

would like to remove the stock air box and use two cone filters, im new to carburetors so bare with me, but ive heard that you must rejet your carb if you get independent filters, anyone know the new jet sizes you need? is it that simple?
..........................hi if you go to mikesxs site look up carby jet kits for cv38 or 34 carbys depending on what you have,,, and buy a kit for each carby,,, then buy 2 oval filter mikesxs sell ,,,, all this is not expensive ,,,, but pull your carbys off and clean them properly ,then drop the kits in and put the carbys back on then the new oval filters they are a decent quality,,, they are not diffult to do make sure you check your float height then fire it up regards oldbiker .....ps you can buy mains and pilot jets seperately just buy going up 1 or 2 sizes over standard ,,,but its easier to buy the kits they sell .............

Boy, you certainly don't sound like a cafe guy. You should live and breathe all this stuff, lol. Use the search function on the site here if only just to prove that all the info you've been given in the previous post is complete bull. The MikesXS products mentioned are some of their worst and should be avoided.

Aw, come on, 5twins, he sounds exactly like a cafe guy--or chopper guy, or bobber guy, or any other guy who wants a fashion statement with two wheels and doesn't much know or even care about how it runs or rides as long as it has The Look, makes noise, and gets him someplace where he can pose with it.

Welcome, cafeguy - consider UNIs rather than pods. They are still independent filters but you will reduce the carb problems you are sure to get with pods - I am waiting for my replacement filters for my pods to arrive.

You can run with pods, of course - it's how it looks v performance issues.

Anlaf

Welcome, cafeguy - consider UNIs rather than pods. They are still independent filters but you will reduce the carb problems you are sure to get with pods - I am waiting for my replacement filters for my pods to arrive.

You can run with pods, of course - it's how it looks v performance issues.

Anlaf

Its not so much the looks im worried about its just that the stock airbox is bulky and the mounts are broken and as weird as this sounds mine just doesnt fit right, im thinking the previous owner did some janky work to it and used a different air box or something, so instead of changing the airbox i was looking at for an alternative, seems that half the guys on here aren't too into giving good information though :doh:

lol @ grizld1....don't throw us all in the same basket now. Hilarious stereotype but a rash generalization. Yes, I like stretch hardtails, but I enjoy the challenge and appreciate the learning process of a good tune. The fact that this guy is even asking about jets means he must have some inclination that it needs changes to run optimally with different filters, rather than just slapping them on and firing it up.

I will agree that MikesXS sells poor quality carb parts...and they don't ship to me in Canada, so screw him anyways...like get with the times, I have a mailbox on my igloo ;)

lol @ grizld1....don't throw us all in the same basket now. Hilarious stereotype but a rash generalization. Yes, I like stretch hardtails, but I enjoy the challenge and appreciate the learning process of a good tune. The fact that this guy is even asking about jets means he must have some inclination that it needs changes to run optimally with different filters, rather than just slapping them on and firing it up.

I will agree that MikesXS sells poor quality carb parts...and they don't ship to me in Canada, so screw him anyways...like get with the times, I have a mailbox on my igloo ;)

Thank you man, i hate when i go to a forum trying to learn and get bashed for it, whatever makes them feel good about themselves i guess

Hey cafeguy, welcome to the boards. The good folks on this forum are not just here to bash the newbies -- quite the opposite actually. The best advice I can give you is to become acquainted with the search buttons at the top of the boards. There is one forum search and another "google" search that will be your best friends through your build. I have been a member here for nearly two years and have gone through my bike front to back using (mostly) the search functions available. There has not been a single question that I have thought of that hasn't already been answered at least ten times -- I just had to look for it. Oh -- also -- we all like to see introductory posts to tell everyone a little about yourself and your riding/wrenching experiences. Pictures are also a must! One last thing : Absolutely get the uni's -- you'll be glad you did!

Exactly, the questions you've asked have been asked and answered 10 million times already. I was being helpful when I told you to use the search function. I was being helpful when I told you not to buy the MikesXS stuff. But it's your money, feel free to waste it if you like.

The UNI pod you found is what you want. The model will depend which carbs you have. I could tell you which UNI if you gave the info on your carb set - but you didn't. I could make jetting suggestions if you gave your carb set - but you didn't. There were something like 5 or 6 carb versions fitted to these bikes. All are jetted differently and all get re-jetted differently.

You want help and get pissed when you don't get it but you give none of the pertinent info needed to be given that help.

cafeguy...I guess the best thing to start with would be to learn about your carbs...find out what carbs you have on the bike, get a manual, and yank at least one apart to make notes of all the guts inside...jet sizes, needle size, float height etc...
I haven't been here long, but I can say that the more detail you can provide for everyone, the more help you're gonna get. Plus, doing all the reading on your carbs for disassembly/assembly and actually tinkering with them a bit will give you a better understanding of how they work!!

www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is a good read. It will help you id your carbs. It will also help you tear down, clean, inspect and repair your carbs. Also when you read the guide notice who wrote it.
These guys know these carbs. Their advice is priceless.
On the BS38 carbs this will help you ID as well as talks about the changes made every couple years.
www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/fi/XS650carbs.htm Some of the translation is a bit tough to understand but a few read throughs will help.
Leo

cafeguy - we love pics on this forum. Most of us can identify most things between us, most of the time.

Show us those carbs.

And why don't you then create a signature in the control panel, so we know at a glance what you have.

Anlaf

My opinion:

I have the XS Performance oval air cleaners from Mike's on my 1980SG. If I were to do it again today I would use a Mikuni velocity stack with a Uni over it. I have seen pics on this forum, by smarter guys than me, and it looks like a very effective solution. There has been discussion /debate over the Uni v. XS Performance ovals and I recall the air flow is supposed to be better with the Uni's.

Sorry I am not helping the "where are the Pic's" portion of this thread.

Thank you man, i hate when i go to a forum trying to learn and get bashed for it, whatever makes them feel good about themselves i guess

It seems to be the norm for this place lately - its happening more and more. On behalf of those that are not hateful and crotchety accept my apology.

I understand not everyone knows their bike.....and even some dont know much about forums.

Wouldnt this be a great forum if everyone knew everything and only posted pictures of their pristine, restored original XSs so the other know-it-all's could chime in and stroke their ego?

Back