Indicator Lights

Scott05

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I am rebuilding an '80 Special II. What's the normal operating "look" of the center indicator lights? My turn signal indicator flashes along with the signals. My headlight indicator is always on when bike is running. But is the brake light indicator suppossed to come on when either brake is applied?

My understanding is that the headlight indicator comes on when the headlight lowbeam burns out and it automatically switches to highbeam.

The brake light comes on when the brakes exceed wear limits.

I'm not sure though, all that useless junk is gone on mine.

Scott05,

Your low beam is probably burned out. The RLU does more than just turn on the white light when the low beam burns out. It turns on the high beam, but at reduced brightness so you don't annoy other drivers. Trouble is, they did such a great job of imitating the low beam that it's hard to tell that the low beam is gone. When you select high beam, the high beam reverts to its natural brightness. (Brilliant idea :laugh:)

The brake light light comes on when you apply the brakes. It will flash if the brake light filament is burned out. That's the light checker.

The rear brake shoe wear warning was on earlier models.

I have a 1979 XS 650 Special, any ideas what the light configuration under normal operation is suppose to be on my bike? My turn signal light flashes when the signals are on, the brake light indicator is on until the bike starts but does not come on when I apply the brakes, and my headlight indicator is off when the headlight is working properly.

I am not sure if this is correct as the wiring was a mess when I got the bike?

Back