Inexpensive voltmeter, monitor voltage while riding

what difference is the 3rd wire? have a diode in or something and redirects the kickback through the 3rd wire? what is inductive kickback?

what difference is the 3rd wire? have a diode in or something and redirects the kickback through the 3rd wire?

The 3-wire version allows you to have a separate power supply, so you can monitor a much wider range of voltages.
Here's pics of the two wiring options:

Voltmeter-powered.jpg Voltmeter-common.jpg

... what is inductive kickback?

Well, I had planned a future thread on that, but you've called my hand.
So, I'll stick that stuff in a separate thread as an experimental project.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42605

Last edited:
great idea and timely reminder :thumbsup:
Coincidentally I was looking at variuos digital voltmeters myself last week.

When I thought about the logistics of trying to keep it waterproof I put the idea aside

I particularly wanted something I could view as I'm riding and the digital probably wouldn't be readable in bright light so I have since thought that it would be rather nice to fit a period analogue volt meter ...how peverse is that ?!:laugh: Like the one that used to be fitted to the headlamp bowl of my 58 Triumph Thunderbird 6t

Last edited:
Hey, Johnny! Not perverse at all. Just difficult. Did a quick eBay search and the economical ones are at least 2" diameter.

I know whutcha mean about the brightness on the digital ones. Either not bright enuff at daytime, or too bright at night.

Well, hold on to yer panties, I'm installing a different one now.

Combo Volt/Time/Temp, will be in a future thread.

Here's a teaser:

3WayDisplay13.jpg

oooh ahhhh:bike:
something so lush might call for a redesigned , plugin dash module :D:wink2:

Oil temp guage eh ....fancy that !

I have had one like this on the restomod for about 3 years now, going strong.
easily visible in daylight. They did come in three LED sizes. Not sure he's still around, small one man deal from the UK.

I've had a Kurayakin (?) LED voltmeter for years on my XS. It's waterproof, easy to see because it is bright LEDs, the LEDs dim at night (light sensor). It has a series of LEDS- yellow/orange for degrees up to 12 V, the first green lights at 12.5, second and third at 13, 13.5, fourth one at 14, red ones for higher than that (you gotta problem). You can see if the regulator is working because, the first green LED stays lit and, every so often, one or two more greens blink and go off which means the regulator is feeding occaisional juice into the battery topping off the battery after starting, running at 1500-2000 RPM, etc. like it should do.

It's expensive ($38.00) and the do-it-yourselfers won't get the joy of buying something on eBay, waiting for it to arrive and then figuring out what to do with it but it works. I have it fastened over the red light above the key with some double stick tape. I connected the hot to the brown wire on the back of the key switch and the ground to, well, the ground.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-4218-Black-L-E-D-Battery/dp/B000GU5WNO

If you want to support your local independent M/C shop, they can order it for you from the Parts Unlimited catalog. Ordering it and picking it up will give you the excuse to go down to the "Honda Shop" and BS with your buddies. Two times.

I got these 1" mini gauges long ago. WW2 military surplus.
Fit into a 1" hole, 90° sweep, radium dials/pointers.
But, I'd have to make dial faces and recalibrate them.
And, they're not damped...

Attachments

• 1-Inch-MiniGauges.jpg
    1-Inch-MiniGauges.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 304
Back