Inner Clutch Hub Threads

bwthor

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to put some heavier clutch springs in this weekend, and found one bolt came out sort of tight. I'm guessing the PO either cross threaded it or stripped it out. When reinstalling, this one felt like it was stripping out before I hit the 8 lb/ft torque setting.

My question is whether this is common or not. Should I feel safe picking up a used one on ebay, or should I hope a trusted member here might have a spare they would be willing to sell?

This is a 1980 650SG, and also am not sure which years would fit. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I haven't read too many complaints about this so I don't think it's common, but obviously it happens from time to time. If your clutch is the original then it should be the 6 friction plate type with a steel damper plate at the bottom of the stack. This version came along about 1980, maybe late '79. You will need this late type inner hub as it differs from the earlier ones. The steel damper plate is held in the bottom of the basket by a retaining wire that fits in grooves in the spline teeth. Earlier hubs won't have those grooves for the retaining wire .....

wFoFzed.jpg

Thanks 5twins, just the info I was looking for. Not sure why it didn't cross my mind yesterday, but I think I may have the right size heli-coil at home, and may just go that route.

Yes, that might work. I wouldn't be torquing those screws to the full 8 ft/lbs in the future. I'd go 6 to 7. Personally, I use 80 in/lbs, about 6 2/3 ft/lbs.

Does anyone know what thread size and pitch these would be? If I don't have the right size, I'd like to grab some before heading home.

Edit...Found out they are 6mm, which is the size I have at home. Perfect!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's just a normal M6 x 1.00.
Yep, just ran across that info in another thread. Seems most of the problems people are having is getting them loose. Tried the first with my little impact drill, and it was an absolute no go. Went for the hammer style impact screwdriver and they popped loose.
Thanks again 5twins, you and others on this forum are a wealth of knowledge, and are priceless to the community!

Yes, the hand held hammer type impact works about the best. Every bike owner should have one. It was one of the first tools I bought way back when I started riding nearly 50 years ago. I knew I needed one because all the bike magazines of the time frequently mentioned it as a "must have" tool. I just went to the local hardware store and bought one, about $8 I think. I didn't realize it at the time but that tool turned out to be a really good one, a Vessel. I still have and use it to this day. Of course, I'm on my 2nd or 3rd set of bits for it now, but I guess one can expect that. Some got worn and were a sloppy fit in the screws, on others the tips actually broke right off.

You can still get them for about $8 at Harbor Freight. I can almost guarantee they won't be around in 50 years though.

Back