Input Needed

JoeW

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I got caught up in the "Cafe Racer" whirlwind and went out and bought the first cheap XS650 I could find locally. I found a 1980 with around 9000 miles on it about 99% there and I had it running in about 2 hours. My plan was to build a "cafe" bike but, after I stripped it down the 19" front and 16" rear wheels did not say cafe, they said bobber. So, here I am, I have fish tail pipes, solo seat, I picked up a Sportster headlight and bezzle at a J&P swap meat last weekend. I've cut the head pipes, the frame and the rear fender. I just don't like the way it's going! Can I make a cafe bike with a 16" rear wheel? Give me your input! Oh, I forgot, I'm trying to do this for about 1000.00! I paid 500.00 for the bike, 40 for rear shocks, 36.00 for cables and 30.00 for the headlight, the other parts were in my spare parts bin. All coments and critism welcome!

Attachments

• xs650 2 003.jpg
    xs650 2 003.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 121
  • xs650 2 002.jpg
    xs650 2 002.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 107
  • xs650 2 004.jpg
    xs650 2 004.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 136
Sure you can .:bike:

Attachments

• brooksknudsen3.jpg
    brooksknudsen3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 1908%20xs400a.JPG
    1908%20xs400a.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 1980%20xs400b.JPG
    1980%20xs400b.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 100
Best thing about your bike is...it's yours. There is no set plan or "cafe cops". Best thing I saw at a show was 2 guys looking a nice cafe and saying to each that a cafe needs to have this and has to have that and this bike is missing... So the owner turns around, looks at the 2, and asked, "Who built your cafe?" The guy said he didn't have a cafe. So the owner says, "So shut the fuck up!!"
I've seen a bunch with 16s. I think the seat, clip-ons, and shock height does wonders for the cafe look if they're done right.

Thanks, great ideas so far. These are the two bikes I've built. The sidecar rig is 15 years old now and the V7 Sport is in a private collection. I am doing another Sport now but, this XS project has seriously distracted me. The new issue of Cafe Racer came today and there are more photos to get inspiration from.

Attachments

• leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 90
  • sidecar.jpg
    sidecar.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 99
Ok, so I got caught up in the "Cafe Racer" whirlwind and went out and bought the first cheap XS650 I could find locally. I found a 1980 with around 9000 miles on it about 99% there and I had it running in about 2 hours. My plan was to build a "cafe" bike but, after I stripped it down the 19" front and 16" rear wheels did not say cafe, they said bobber. So, here I am, I have fish tail pipes, solo seat, I picked up a Sportster headlight and bezzle at a J&P swap meat last weekend. I've cut the head pipes, the frame and the rear fender. I just don't like the way it's going! Can I make a cafe bike with a 16" rear wheel? Give me your input! Oh, I forgot, I'm trying to do this for about 1000.00! I paid 500.00 for the bike, 40 for rear shocks, 36.00 for cables and 30.00 for the headlight, the other parts were in my spare parts bin. All coments and critism welcome!

Joe, what kind of seat (brand, make) is that? I'm not building a bobber but that seat looks comfey.

Joe, what kind of seat (brand, make) is that? I'm not building a bobber but that seat looks comfey.

I had to get back to the shop today to look at it, it's made by Bar Enterprises. It came with a stash of Moto Guzzi parts I picked up.

Last edited:
You should combine the styling with what you have to the cafe style. When I think of Cafe Racers I think of an homage to the old british bikes with clubman bars or clip ons and a long seat with a bump on the end.

Just focus on making your bike perform well as this was the ultimate goal of the cafe racers of old. Looking good is always fun but Cafe Racers shouldnt sacrifice performance (HP, Torque, handling, etc) for styling points (Like a hardtail).

LittleBill31 is right. Just make it your own and call it what you want. Thats the whole point of making it yourself right?

Back