Insight question

bmulley

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am currently in the process of building an xs650 bobber. I was getting the engine glass blasted (A terrible mistake) and while it looks nice I found glass bead in the base pan. This is my first bike build and was seeking insight on whether I should just rebuild the engine due to the glass bead potentially destroying everything in the bottom end.

Hey guys I am currently in the process of building an xs650 bobber. I was getting the engine glass blasted (A terrible mistake) and while it looks nice I found glass bead in the base pan. This is my first bike build and was seeking insight on whether I should just rebuild the engine due to the glass bead potentially destroying everything in the bottom end.
I believe you have answered your own question. Mostly, you're just going to disassemble, clean, assess and reassemble. It will take more time than money.

1647103437803.png

I recently acquired this book. I recommend it for what you are about to embark on. I got mine on Amazon.

Wait a minute
Hmmm this is a delicate situation ..
Not an expert ..but I have seen that blasting material have various hardness ..Depending on what is blasted
Walnut shells even
https://www.matthys.net/en/abrasive-walnut-shells-25-kg-1204702

Some of the blasting products is less hard than fex a roller bearing contact point
Another question is how much has entered and where .. If the engine was closed for the blasting not much could have entered
How much in and How hard Entering where
Since the job to split and clean is a big job and finding small debris in the engine is not so easy
And can require washing boxes for doing it.
I would seek for ways to flush the engine with kerosene or so ..and investigate the hardness of the Glass beads.

I would also factor in the status of the motor .. If it is newly rebuilt or a rebuild is coming

I see Mr Yamadude is thinking in those terms also.

+1, Jan and Marty! If it were mine that motor would be stripped completely with every oil gallery flushed under pressure, and not just once. Re. the Hans Pahl manual, if I could have only one piece of literature on the XS650 engine, that would be it. Danke, Herr Pahl!

Keep in mind that some folks have found metal filings hidden in corner recesses of their engine cases, filings that have been surmised to have been left from the factory (!), yes the Yamaha factory. And there was no apparent damage done by these particles.
Particles have a tendency to fall to the bottom and get stuck in sediment.

with every oil gallery flushed under pressure,
Flushed with solvent pressure, then air pressure... repeatedly... from both ends of the gallery opening. And when you're satisfied you've got it all out, throw it back in the wash tank and do it all over again.
I can't find it, but there's a thread here where a guy put considerable amounts of time and money into an engine that trashed itself within a hundred miles. He was up front about it and put up pics of all the beads he dug out of the oil passages when he tore it back down.
Anyone remember who that was?

Flushed with solvent pressure, then air pressure... repeatedly... from both ends of the gallery opening. And when you're satisfied you've got it all out, throw it back in the wash tank and do it all over again.
I can't find it, but there's a thread here where a guy put considerable amounts of time and money into an engine that trashed itself within a hundred miles. He was up front about it and put up pics of all the beads he dug out of the oil passages when he tore it back down.
Anyone remember who that was?
I remember the post.

It seems that we have an open question as to whether it was just the exterior of this engine that was blasted, or the interior as well, which was the case with the other fellow you are reffering to.

I remember the post.

It seems that we have an open question as to whether it was just the exterior of this engine that was blasted, or the interior as well, which was the case with the other fellow you are reffering to.
My case was blasted closed up. I have never run this bike yet since the blasting or even turned it over by hand. I first noticed a small amount of glass blast residue on top of the intake valves (did not think the shop sealed the intakes very well). I then pulled the kickstart out to see if it made it into the casing and there was a small amount in there. that's when I investigated the basepan and found some reside in there.

....and with the new paper filter, you will have the added benefit of long term increased filtration. As for added cooling, research has shown that it cools the oil just a little bit. It's easy to install.

As long as interior surfaces weren't blasted, you should be OK and be able to clean it out. If interior surfaces were blasted, you could be in real trouble. The glass beads get embedded in the alloy and won't wash or rinse out. What does release them is engine heat once the motor is running. They are released into your oil, go everywhere, and wreak havoc. I only glass bead external surfaces and block off any openings to the interior very well .....

Block Plates3.jpg

Block Plates.jpg

Block Plates6.jpg

As long as interior surfaces weren't blasted, you should be OK and be able to clean it out. If interior surfaces were blasted, you could be in real trouble. The glass beads get embedded in the alloy and won't wash or rinse out. What does release them is engine heat once the motor is running. They are released into your oil, go everywhere, and wreak havoc. I only glass bead external surfaces and block off any openings to the interior very well .....

View attachment 209553

View attachment 209554

View attachment 209555
Thats a great set up with the wood never thought of that

Back