Inspecting the crankshaft

cowboy3669

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Not the recommended way to inspect the crank.
what happen when the rod wants to somewhere else.

Attachments

• IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 263
  • IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 277
Holy Shit! looks like a clean escape! You're giving these motors a bad name! haha.. I'm guessing that was on the turbo and nitrous drag bike?

Those pictures are a little hard to see.... if you're taking a picture of a picture, try doing it outside with the flash off or inside at a little bit of an angle with no flash. :thumbsup:

Were did these pics come from?
A club member here in Sydney had this happen to his XS2 about two years ago.

or no oil... :laugh:.. have any pics of what was left of the rod? or any other pictures of the damage?

there was oil in the engine right up to the time the rod made it's great escape.
no other pic's didn't think about pic's of the other parts.

From my thinking in the early seventies when they first came out with these when I worked Yamaha was that anything above 55 hundred was just pot luck....and especially with the pressed crank twins.......the ole RT1's never showed 7K+ for redlines which I rode in Florida for a couple of hundred thoudsnd miles and were only a single and had a wide ratio trans....always though to myself as I worked on these in the 70's and 80's was the revs were way above any rational and just for HP sales garbage ....and that the ignition timing was set for high revs and left everyone reving the hell out of these things with redicilous low highway gears ......instead of being set right 2000 to 4500 being a decent running machine geared correctly..sometimes with revs above that if needed....but still overly compressed for at that ....not a hot rod as everyone wanted even then though...that's why there are still around...they parked them...at least for now for the zoom zoom croud to hose them ......ah what would I know..LOL

Lunacy to make a hot rod out of these things when there is so much else to be enjoyed if set correctly...xsjohn

Last edited:
Seen a photo of the cases split down the front and that was caused by the cush springs disintegrating

Caused by engine ratcheting from a non smooth running engine ......the XS650 is the worst of all the street engines (except the bsa hornet) I have ever oned for this....takes a bit to smooth it out....wonderful when that's done....took 10 yers of head slapping....

xsjohn

Back