Installed PMA... What did I miss with the starter?

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
I installed a TC Bros PMA on my 1979 Special.

I have the battery hooked up still (for now)
I ran a new neutral switch wire (sky blue to neutral switch)
I kept the safety relay

Starter won't crank.

If I short the 2 big terminals on the starter solenoid it cranks.

I missed something... Any ideas?

I type with one finger, so the long version ain't gonna happen, but try this. The PMA is part of the charging system and should have zero to do with the starting system. All the starter does is roll the engine over, and nothing more. Other systems come in to play for the motor to run, fuel must be present, ignition must trigger, etc. When you push that starter button you are only crossing that starter solenoid, just as you did physically at the solenoid. There are, on many bikes, various things that can get in the way of that simple connection. Safety switches at such places as the kill switch, sidestand, clutch lever in case it's not in neutral, etc. Check out those things if your bike has them, but the PMA should be irrelevant to the starting circuit.

Did you blow a fuse? Do you have power going to the starter switch? are your bars grounded? (Pressing the starter button closes the circuit and powers the starter relay/solenoid...I'd check those wires and trace it back).

Sorry, forgot about this thread - I got so excited my wheels were ready...

Anyway. I realize the PMA and the starter is a completely separate circuit, the only reason I mentioned it was that I did the usual "unplugging" of associated plugs as I installed it.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll start w/ testing for power @ the switch.

I don't think the handlebars are grounded - they are coated.

The ideas here continually hit bulls eyes!

Ran a separate ground last night from the starter switch to the frame and it cranked!

What I can't figure out is how the ground is maintained through the riser bushings!

On the early bikes, my 75 was this way, The ground path from the bars was through the risers, on one side a wire was under the nut holding the riser. This wire ran over and was under one of the top tree clamp bolts, Through the tree to the neck, bearings, frame, back to battery.
Not the best way. Current through the bears can pit them.
On the later years, not sure just when it started, ground path was from right body through bars over to left side switch housing where a black wire ran from the switch housing down into the headlight bucket to the harness ground.
Leo

Interesting Leo. I'll have to take a look under my risers and see if I have that wire. If not, maybe it's just time to add a ground down into the headlight to the harness ground.

Back