installing 277 PAMCO Ignition w/ PMA and rephase

Side note, good on ya' hugh for pitching in like this. :cheers:

Scott, I am sure Pete would be helping more, but he is about as busy as the other guy helping at the moment. Pete builds these systems for more than just the xs. He is pretty active on the forum and I would guess only absent from this thread due to being pretty busy.

Also, great to read this. Really helping me see where I guessed wrong on my install as well.

Pete is a great feller, and he'd probably do the same for me... We both stay VERY busy, and it's always good to see another XS' enthusiast getting back on the road... I'll help everytime if I can :thumbsup:

here's the pamco rotor with the magnets now horizontal... thanks for the help HUGH!!!
cant wait to get this thing running.

Attachments

• plate horizontal.jpg
    plate horizontal.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 210
In all the installation pictures I see that peoples pamco magnets have only two little circles on them. Mine has four?.?.?.?.

In all the installation pictures I see that peoples pamco magnets have only two little circles on them. Mine has four?.?.?.?.

Hrmm... I just went and looked at all the 277 Ignitions I have in house. None of them have four magnets. Even my Black and White bike, which has Pete's very first 277 Ignition only has 2 Magnets.

Now on my early 277 Ignition, the rotor has 4 holes, but only 2 magnets, that may be it??

Maybe Pete will Chime in?

Did. Just forgot to update. He replied to my email within hours and is sending me out the right plate free of charge. Even though he didn't sell me the kit directly.

For the record, it's a plate for 360degree ignition as suspected by others.

Thanks all

Last edited:
does anyone know when the 277 ignitions will again be available? Mikes is out, and the order I made with Pete directly last week hadn't been filled by today.

The 360 Pamco uses four magnets, two for each cylinder. One turns the hall effect transister on the other off. This fires the coil. with just just one cylinder ready to fire. As the engine turns the second set cause the coil to fire for the other cylinder.
On the 270 and 277 Pamco's you have two hall effect transisters. One for each cylinder. Two magnets to turn the Hall effect transisters on/off. The first magnet turns the tranasiter on, the second off firing one cylinder. They then pass the second transister, on/off fires the second cylinder. No need for 4 magnets.
If you notice the repase rotor has the magnets the same as just one side of the 360 rotor. This gives the coils an on time of 60 degrees of rotation. This lets the coils run cooler than the points 90 degrees of on time. Less on time creates less heat.
On availability, Pete is a busy man. He may be waiting on part to come in from his suppliers. I think he out sources the rotor machining, I doubt he makes his own transiters, resisters and circuit boards. If there was a delay on any of his parts then he can't ship the product till they come in.
If the delay is on his end then you will probably hear from Pete. If not it might nave been delayed in shipment.
Leo

Back