Installing a new left side turn signal switch. Problems.

OctoberNotice

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a new signal switch, and included are the attachments of the diagrams we studied and copied over to rematch the wires.

At first the horn button pressed turned on the high beam light that in the tachometer. We regrounded it, I believe, and the horn works fine. That's the only thing though.

The turn signals when flipped, you can hear a clicking as you turn the lever, but the signals don't light.

The headlight doesn't work at all. High, low, or just running.

I'm wondering if anyone can give any advice. I'm thinking we aren't comupting the new harness' setup for high beam, low beam, and headlight + for the old, original's setup. I also am not sure where/how the headlight grounds and how the wires run together.

Praise the 650 gods if anyone can enlighten me any further on my issue.

Attachments

• 1-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-handlebar-parts-.jpg
    1-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-handlebar-parts-.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 81XS650_wiring_(fixed).jpg
    81XS650_wiring_(fixed).jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 380168065_o.jpg
    380168065_o.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 110
Also, matching up the + and - for everything correctly will work?

Can I straight plug this into my stock wiring setup, or will it interfere with the safety relays and cancelling units?

OK - here's one for the wisemen.

I have a '76 C-model that I am reviving and the PO had messed with wiring - A LOT. I bought a new harness from XS650 Direct (same as Mikes XS). Then I discovered that the entire LH switch assembly (the turn signal & horn switch) was filled with corrosion so I ordered a new one of those too. I naively thought that a switch for a '77 would connect to a '76 harness - but I hadn't counted on the self-cancelling turn signals unit etc.

So....my question is: has anyone else adapted a new '77-later left handlebar switch to an earlier bike and if so, can you tell me what the connections are for the little 6-terminal connector? It appears that some of them are not used on my'76 harness.....

Many thanks for any guidance.

Pete

Back