Installing Advance Rod When Converting to Pamco Ultimate Ignition

jims428

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 82 Heritage Special that I am considering converting from TCI to the Pamco Ultimate Ignition System from MiksXS.
The only thing I am concerned about doing the conversion is installing the Advance Rod since the 80-84 models did not come with them.
Can someone tell me what would be involved in installing the Advance Rod?
I also would have to install the 3 cam shaft internal brass bushings. How much tear down do I have to do for this?
If it has already been discussed could someone point me to the thread(s). My Search-Fu is weak on this topic so I would appreciate some guidance.

jims428,

There is no tear down needed to install the bushings. They are simply a finger press fit into the cavities in the ends of the cam shaft accessible when you remove the chrome covers on either end of the cam shaft.

There is a complete installation section in my web site www.yamahaxs650.com specifically for the installation for the advance mechanism.

jims428 and tidd1340,

I think I was the one that said two weeks....about two weeks ago...:wtf:...I'll check with Mike tomorrow and see what's up...:thumbsup:

tidd1340,

Well, I don't have the buying power that Mike has. He travels the world and buys parts in 1,000 to 10,000 lots. Something that is not always appreciated. He sometimes gets burned and has to eat the parts. This delay in stocking the advance parts is probably not his fault. He orders parts from factories that also make OEM parts, so when Honda calls, they might delay Mikes order because the OEM's order by the 100,000 to 250,000 lot.

In many cases, Mike searched for the original maker of parts for the XS650.

So, it's been said before but it's worth repeating. If it wasn't for Mikes buying relatively large quantities of parts, the XS650's would be all piled up in a junk yard like so many other vintage motorcycles.

Me, I just make the ignition systems.....:bike:

Last edited:
I understand,was just asking. I'd rather give a guy like you $20.00 more than him for the same thing,just because of the service.

If you shop around on Ebay you may find the advancer parts you need. Get new bushings and the basic Pamco from Mike's.
Getting all new parts is is nice. Used parts can be worn and need some work to get to work right.

That would be cool too, Leo IF any of it was available from MIKES right now. I have been checking everyday for 2 weeks and NONE of the ignitions are in stock.

I have seen the Pamco's on ebay too. Wether they got your order and then ordered from Mike's I can't say. They may have some instock. Won't hurt to check.

Stock Update:

MikesXS is out of the advance mechanism, so that is what is holding up the orders that include those parts. He has also just recently run out of basic PAMCO's as well, but I will be shipping some to him on Friday.

jimmy,

I talked to them this morning, but I got conflicting stories. So, I'll wait until they finish their move to their new building in a couple of days and ask again. There is some disarray due to their move right now.

Last edited:
Back