Installing hand grips

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Ok, why is there a problem with everything I do on this build. Can't just be plug and play.
I ordered a set if metal flake grips on eBay. Hippy killers. The ad stated 7/8. Well it seems they're both 7/8. I put the throttle grip on and almost didn't get it off. It only went on 3/4 of the way. Maybe dish soap or something will help that one.
The other grip slides right off. What are you guys using for this fix? Tape the bar or something?

Hate to ask the obvious, one side too tight, the other too loose..... Otherwise tight, warm the grip with a hair dryer first. yes a soapy water helps too. loose is a bit harder, I have removed grips with weatherstrip adhesive holding them on.

I figured someone would ask the obvious. Lol.
Nah, I measured them both. 7/8. I know the throttle is supposed to be 1 inch.
I would send them back but they came from Australia. Thought it was a good deal at the time.

Hairspray works great for putting new grips on,slide them on quickly once youve sprayed them as it dries quite quickly!

Yep, hairspray is perfect. Just enough lube to get them all the way on and it works as adhesive once dried.

we have always used carb cleaner, lubes dries fast and adheres the rubber to the bar. the blow gun is also a great tip.

yes when using blow gun place the tip where the grip and bar make contact. the air rushing in will stretch the grip a little. also the air escaping all the way around the bar will let the grip slide like a puck on a air hockey table. pretty slick huh! a very old school mechanic showed me the trick. he charged 20 buck to install grips. took him less than two minutes. easy money

Your are going to break the throttle tube and end up spending even more money.

Bite the bullet and get the right size grips.

:thumbsup:

I've always used WD40. Good lube for install and once dry, the grip is stuck on fine. I also use it for removal. Jam a long small screwdriver or awl between the bar and grip, spray the WD in, and once it spreads all the way around the grip slides right off. I help it along by working the grip with a twisting motion.

In the shop environment we needed quick, cheap, clean, effective.
Especially at the track.

The gas came from the bike's petcock.
The install is quick.
Easy to rotate the grip to desired position.
Full adhesion in 5 minutes.
No post cleanup.
Works great on polished chrome handlebars.
Grips are removable/saveable, using the icepick and lube injection technique.
No glue/gunk cleanup after removal.

Edit: Do icepicks even exist nowadays?

Yet another perfect job for windshield washer SS strips slide it in add juice of your choice a bit of compressed air slide the grips off. I have used a couple pair of the silicone grips from Colorado changed them to whatever bike I was riding so swapped them 3 or 4 times just using compressed air, easy peasy.

51equzRnQZL._SL1100_.jpg

Back