Installing rephased camshaft without breaking chain

KentMoney

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
OK,

So I had removed my stock camshaft without breaking the cam chain like many have shown on here; no problems with that. I am now about to finish my rebuild and I am attempting to install my rephased camshaft without breaking the chain but I am having some issues. It appears that now since the lobes have been relocated, it is not allowing the camshaft to sit close enough to the cylinder head to get the chain over the sprocket.

Does anyone else have experience putting the camchain back on a rephased camshaft without breaking it?

Thanks! Otherwise I may be in the market for a cam chain tool...

Or at least, backed off all the way?

if by tensioner you mean the spring-loaded portion that pushes against the tensioner bar, yes that is removed. But both cam chain guides are in place without the tensioner.

I found it easier to slide the camshaft from the right side of the engine (without the bearings of course) There is a little more clearance on the left side of cam and use spacers and nuts on the studs to compress the head and base gasket to slip the bearings on.

OK, thanks guys. This give me the confidence to go and try it again. I just didn't want to break anything.

not sure where I can find suitable spacers, however. I will report back with the results this evening.

I use 1/2" drive sockets, washer under and on top of.

UPDATE: Got the camchain on, and hopefully I got the timing right. It was still a total f****** bitch to put on, but it's on!

Back