Interchangability -or not -of bits.

Keithypete

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I haven't even got a starting point yet but I'm wondering how interchangable bits from different models/years are. (e.g.) If I buy a bottom end what barrels & heads can I use, etc?

That's a pretty broad question. For the most part the parts are interchangeable, but you need to be specific. What year of heads to what bottom end?

Would be neat for someone to take up the task of making a giant pdf chart of interchangeable things like wheels, engines, etc with some highlighting on stick setups. then sticky it somewhere.

I would, but have a massive vacuum where the knowledge to complete such a task would be ;)

You have to identify your model as some of the European XS's have the uncommon 553 engine, and be careful where your information is coming from as the US never had these uncommon engines so some info may be misleading without meaning to be

The barrels and heads still interchange, some differances in the bottom end on the 533 including the rods and pistons, if you are in europe it's the 447 that's more uncommon:laugh:

This listing at the 650 Wiki site shows the engine serial numbers, including those for the European bikes, and relates them to the specific model and years. Dunno how much it helps what you're after, but can't hurt, I reckon.

http://650wiki.org/index.php/1.02._Engine_Identification

We can provide the most help for you if you tell us which year your bike is -- to be more exact, which year your engine is -- and if you can confirm that your bike has the 533 engine.

Last edited:
Back