Interesting carb issue

Pat D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Twice now I've had the right side needle lift high enough to come out of the jet orifice and jam the slide open. Only happens after a particularly aggressive launch through the gears. The needle is at the factory recommended 4th slot. Any ideas on what is going on? Bike runs great, plugs are looking right, other than the float on this carb occasionally sticking open when on the side stand I don't really have any issues. In the meantime I'll behave myself, like I said it only happens if I hammer it hard.

I am guessing you are dealing with stock '74 BS38's so if all of the parts that retain the needle are there and in the correct order my guess would be either an incorrect or weak diaphragm spring allowing the slide to lift to far. I could be way off base but that is what my gut is telling me.

I can just about guarantee that you are either missing a part in your slide assembly -- most likely the so-called "plate," which is the white nylon disc between the needle clip and the spring -- or you are missing the spring -- or you have the assembly somehow assembled wrong. If you can't figure it out from the fiche drawings, lay out the parts and post a pic.

Have you rebuilt the carbs with kits that include a needle? If so the needle is the wrong one. Those kits seldom have the right brass parts. The gaskets are ok, the float valve is ok but the rest hardly ever.
Leo

Back