Intro and 1980 XS Build. Brown Bomber.

Few updates,

Now that the weather has finally turned towards spring I was able to take it out and test everything out.

For starters, the clutch was froze up. I got it free but not it slips. Got a new one on the way.

Mechanical advance is hanging a bit. Got new springs on the way.

Last, my seat shock held air the whole time I was building the bike but as soon as it came time to ride it started leaking. It goes soft over night. So I'm going to have to order another of those too.

Other than that it rides awesome. The roads aren't the greatest around here in spring with the thaw coming out. With the seat shock and r1 forks the bumps don't even faze me. Bumps that I would normally lift off the seat for and brace if I was on my buell I can hit with no worries on the xs. Feels almost like a softail.

The bike looks awesome! But you can tell this style is for a younger slim guy. I don't think I could get my feet and hands both forward like that and live to tell about it!

Great looking bike and Robert would be proud of what you created in his memory. One of the top builds on site and that is saying something. Lots of show winning quality builds have been done here. Some being built now. :thumbsup:

Bike is still running great, Been a while since I've updated.

I have quite a few miles on it now. Only a few minor changes, I ditched the monster craftsman tensioner. The sprocket on it was cheap and shed a few teeth, it also was a pain to get dialed in. It rides smoother without the tensioner.

I had an issue with the tail light. A wire must have broke in the frame somewhere. The brake light works, but the running tail light does not. Haven't had time to dig into it and I just don't ride it at night.

Awesome feedback where ever the bike goes.

Here's some more recent pics.

Bike_zpsf3bfaa21.jpg

Here it is with one of my other babys.

Bike3_zpsbd152623.jpg

Bike2_zps78db11fb.jpg

I think it might be a little weird. But I was thinking of your build and You yesterday.
and You checked in today. good to hear that your bike is okay. with only a couple problems. :thumbsup: Your other bike looks good too. TC young Man!

Wow. Awesome thread man. At the same time, I am both inspired and intimidated. I love your front end set up. I want to do a similar set up but afraid off the compatibility issues between rims, forks, head tube, extra. You nailed it bro!

Thanks!

Weird Carbon, I haven't checked in here in a long time and last night I just randomly had the thought to see if anybody has been checking out the build.

I really love the front end look too. I really wanted to do it but was intimidated like you. I didn't want to buy a bunch of parts that I had no idea if they would work together. There wasn't much information out there on what guys have used either.
I fell into some luck and had both a GSXR and R1 to pick apart and use, turned out all the R1 parts and the GSXR stem worked perfect, with the help of some custom made spacers.

I believe I documented that all pretty good a few pages back in the thread.

:thumbsup:

Bike is looking great as always maas562.I'm glad to hear she runs out nice for you.
A few hiccup's ain't too bad. That's what keeps it interesting.

Back