Intro and 1st Build

dc9689

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Ive been on the site for a little while now and learning a ton just from looking around. Ive wanted to build a bobber for a few years now just never have. So last month I sold my 06 gsxr600 and picked up a 82 xs650. It wasn't in great shape and missing a few parts but I decided to take a shot at it. I cleaned up the carbs and she fired right up and ran pretty sweet! Compression tests were 145psi on both sides so I started to tear it down. As of now Its down to just the frame and engine and I should have the TC Bros hardtail welded up this weekend.
For the build my plan is to keep the costs down and learn as I go. My goal is to have a reliable, fun bike to cruise around on for the summer. I really dont have any experience with building bikes, so ill do my best lol Im located in cny a little north of Syracuse if there's any locals give me a shout!
Also the bike seems to kick over super easy, is this something i should be concerned with? Like I said I did compression tests and the results were good and the bie seemed to run great. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• S7002071.JPG
    S7002071.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 160
  • S7002072.JPG
    S7002072.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 149
  • S7002116.JPG
    S7002116.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 153
  • S7002138.JPG
    S7002138.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 147
Hi and welcome - looks like a nice little project you have there.

As for kicking over XS's are relativiely easy to kick over and your compression is good, so I wouldnt worry too much. One thing to check though would be the clutch for slip / adjustment. The kickstart drives through the clutch, however an slip should be noticeable riding

Welcome ! As you probaly already know, there's good info and good people here.

I'm over in Rochester.

Regarding the easy kicking.........can you tell if you are turning the engine over when you kick it? Plugs are in, I assume. Did you start it with the electric starter? Sometimes if the clutch is slipping it will feel like it's kicking over easily.

Nope I only used the kick to start it. I never rode the bike so im not sure how the clutch is.

Since your compression is good, and you started it by kicking, it may be that you were just expecting a harder kick.

Good lick and keep it comin'.

Uebe, I am - there only so much fun you can have in the snow til you get pissed off with it! :)

Yep, if she's firing OK, i'd say all well and good. Be worth checking the clutch adjustment as a first port of call - there should be a little (1/8" or so) freeplay in the clutch lever

Hey guys I just cut the frame today and had a quick question. The wrap around brace or whatever you want to call it, that goes down the backbone, does that stay or go? The instructions say it stays but when I mock it up there seems to be a 1/8"gap or so between backbone of the frame and the top rails of the hardtail.

Attachments

• S7002161.JPG
    S7002161.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 137
  • S7002153.JPG
    S7002153.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 154
  • S7002162.JPG
    S7002162.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 145
  • S7002163.JPG
    S7002163.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 143
Hey guys I got the hardtail all welded up, lookin good. Hopefully Ill get some pics up soon. Question: When I put the stock rear wheel on its loose. I measured the rear axle plates and their about 1/4" thinner than the stock swing arm. Do I need to get some sort of spacer or whats my best move? Thanks!

Most people just squeeze them down from what I've seen with the TCBrothers hardtail. My David Bird hardtail has an extra plate welded to the axle area to account for the axle adjusters.

On my first XS650 I used a Kawasaki rear wheel and cut down and made all the spacers I needed. But I also used push adjusters like this. You could do the same.

sb26.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

Thanks for the info Ben. Any suggestions on new chain tensioners since the oriiginals are to big now?

dc9689, Travis the site owner makes some additional plates you can get through Chop Source. They weld on on the outside of the TCB axle plates and take up the clearance issue. Or you could just fabicate your own.

Scambled, measure, measure, measure, tack weld, and measure. If crooked, cut loose and repeat.:laugh:

Back