intro and a couple questions

nugs81

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hiya fellas. got my hands on an '81 special. I don't really know how to classify what I want the finished product to look like, but I know I'm hung up on the side covers... I'm looking to swap to some that the top of the covers stay parallel to the frame.

this bike has been a big motivator for me so far. anybody know what year it is? or mainly what year covers those are?

and a quick vid clip. trying to richen her up a bit...
Resized_15190933109822039130139001.jpeg
Resized_15190933109822039130139001.jpeg

Welcome,

Ask the moderator to shift the thread to the garage, easy peasy.

The bike in the pics is a 78SE or 79SF, cant tell the difference between those 2 years visually unless they are in factory colors. These 2 years have Mag wheels with a disk brake on the rear . The earlier specials had metal side covers, (as per the pic), and your 81 has plastic side-covers and their mounts are completely different to the metal side-cover. Your 81 also has Mag wheels........ Note; the rear brake was changed to a Drum brake mag wheel. This was on one model only........ 81SH........... There were 2 models in 81, one had Mag wheels and the other had Spoke wheels and a couple of other small visual differences.

Your 81 also gives you the option to change to spoke wheels without any modifications. Straight swap.

If your handy with a welder then it is not to difficult to change the mounts. Need to get the correct measurements for their placement, just ask and someone will be able to help. If i get time today i'll measure up the Standard frame i have. ............Look for a set of 74-79 standard side-covers for the straight look if you do the change.

awesome. thank ya, sir! that's really all I needed to know so I guess no need to move the thread. I'll make another one - in the right place - once I get some things going. thanks again!

That sounds really good . Spidey bike is cool too!! Customize with a clothespin and bball card and yer boy has the hottest ride on the block!

Back