Intro/Hardtail Frame talk/Frustrated looking for a project

SteelToeJoe

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello! So I've been looking for a xs650 project for FAR too long now. There are all sorts of parts and things on craigslist and what not, but nobody ever has a damn title!

I finaly found one I think might be worth buying and it has the much needed title.

Main problem with it is, it's a little TOO complete and therefor a little TOO expencive. $1500 It doesn't have the frame I wanted. I originaly just wanted a plain jane TC bros type hardtail. 3 strech, 5 off the ground, stock frontend/rake. This one Im lookin at is dropseat that looks a bit more streched then 3 and a gooseneck with a bit more rake.

Main Question:
What kind of money would a used frame like that go for? OR Anyone have a plain jane hardtail they would want to trade for a streched/raked dropseat/gooseneck?
I would love to go with Mr.Lucky's single downtube frame but I don't guess I could get that kind of money for this frame? Could I?

Oh also, what kind of money would a set of Mag wheels go for. It comes with a set of spokes and Mags, I like the spokes.

I would love to find a $500 pile of rust with a title but I've been waiting WAY too long. I actully found a $500 dollar bike with title last week. His ad on craigslist was "XS650 WITH TITLE - $500" So I talked with the kid from wendseday to saturday about it, it seems all good. I load up my ramp and just before I head out on the two hour (one way) drive up there I give him one last call and he informs me that he does indeed have a title. His name isn't on it though! :wtf: He bought it from his old boss and never did the paperwork, his old boss bought it off a man that is now dead and never did the paper work. So....I told him to get his stuff straight and call me back....I don't think he's gona call back....

Build the bike you REALLY want first and don't cut corners. You will regret it later. Go with Ardcore maybe and have them build exactly what you want. Comes with MSO so no title needed.

How does that effect the insurance rates? A friend of mine did something like that and he says he has to pay like $150/month. Its a big ass harley though.

$150 a Month!?!?! On a motorcycle?!?! I paid $12 per month on my my buell... a sportbike. Some companies won't insure full customs. That wouldn't be any different with the MrLucky frame.

Geico, progressive, the 2 bigger companies that do motorcycle insurance do cover them. I have heard good things about Hagerty too, and NEVER heard of $150 p/m for ANY motorcycle. He must be high risk... not the bike.

holy traffic tickets or high traffic area....$150/month. Sheesh. My first bike (aside from numerous dirt bikes and enduros) was a '98 R6 at 16 years old and it was still less than $150/month....

You might talk to your local DMV and find out what the process is for registering old bikes with titles that have not been registered with their owners.

Ive found that in my state, its so easy- pay and go process.

Back