Introduce myself

XSsteve

1975 XS650B
Reaction score
Hello all, Have been lurking for a little while to see what people had to say about the 650. Well yesterday 12/30/13 i bought a 1975 XS 650B with a title (so i'm a NEWB).

Completely stock the only thing missing was the mirrors and side covers has everything else. I am pretty pleased with finding it, BUT...drum roll, it doesn't run has been sitting for a long time. The kick start moves freely, oil looks very clean and plugs look good... can't wait to get started on this project.

I will probably have a tone of questions, but so far I have found a crap load of info here, this is a great looking site.

Thanks,
XSsteve

If the bike has sat a long time then the oil probably would look clean, all the sludge having settled. You can probably start it like that but I wouldn't run it long, just a few minutes to warm the oil some. Then drain it and pull the filters. If you've been reading around the site here then you probably discovered that it's imperative to pull that bottom oil sump filter ASAP because they have a tendency to rip. You can repair it or replace it, or do both. It's nice to have a spare clean one on hand to swap in at oil changes.

Would a heat lamp work to "warm the oil"? Or does running the engine serve another purpose besides thinning the oil enough to run out of the crooks and cranny's.

I am not going to tear into this thing all crazy. I want to do some homework put some thing on paper an try and do things correctly.
Today I stripped some thing away to be able to look around a little better.

I guess what I am nervous about is, did this thing just stop running and someone parked it, did they just quit ridding it or what???

I don't want to remove carbs, oil & sump filter try and fire it up and 'F' something up worse??? But I have to start somewhere, so thats where I am headed, keep my fingers crossed.

Anyway, this is a good site and I am sure you'll see me around.
Thanks,
XSsteve

I am not going to tear into this thing all crazy...

Here's some minimally-invasive post-mortem diags you could try:

1 - Inspect right cover oilpump filter/screen
2 - Sparkplug inspection
3 - Flashlight down into plug holes, inspect piston tops and valve faces
4 - Compression test
5 - Camchain tensioner depth-of-adjustment inspection

Carb cleaning, Tune ups, valve setting, cam chain tension setting or any maint. will only result in getting familiar with your new found steed. Should you find something that is FUBAR you will have to fix it. Should you FU some thing, it's a learning experience to fix it. It probably would have broke anyway.
Doing all the regular maint things(tune up oil change/lube, cam chain tension etc) before starting it is like setting a baseline. It's not running now so it can only make it more likely to start after all the maint is done.

Should you FU some thing, it's a learning experience to fix it. It probably would have broke anyway.

Your right, if its going to break, its going to break and I'll fix it. look to the regular maint. stuff and go from there.
thanks

Back