Introduction- my gears are grinding

alwaysworking

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Daniel, and I'm a 26 year old first-time xs owner.
I recently bought my 2nd bike, 1st xs, the frame is a registered 1980, everything else (with the exception of the front end) is from a '75.
Everything was going great until a couple of days ago...
I was at a stop light and when the light turned green I let out of the clutch and first gear made a horrible grinding noise. I tried shifting into 2nd but the same thing happened. Now I can't find neutral and I assume I will need to rebuild the transmission.
What do y'all think?

any ideas of what the problem could be before I start ripping into her?

thanks in advance! I'm glad to be here!

-Daniel

Let me be the first to welcome you, Daniel.

Don't rip into her, though, until you have covered basics. Tell the forum more about what you have done to the bike at this point in terms of basic maintenance, such as checking oil level, whether you have adjusted the clutch at the left case cover and the perch/hand lever (clutch). You have not yet ruled out an adjustment or lubrication issue; that needs to be done.

Also, read the Tech Section thoroughly, for starters.

Welcome again!

TC

hello TeeCat,

I haven't done much to the bike other than checking the usual things- fluid levels, fuses, wiring connections. All the fluids were new and to the correct level. The PO had recently installed the 750 kit from mikesXS. The clutch seems to be adjusted correctly. Have been reading over different areas of the tech section for the last week or so..

thanks for the welcome!

Daniel...

I'm sure that other more experienced members will chime in here, but if you have not adjusted the clutch yourself, you can't safely rule that out as a possible issue. There is a recommended procedure in the tech section. Failing that, you may have to pull the left case cover and inspect the clutch actuator parts (worm gear, clutch rod(s), cable, etc.), for wear or breakage (the worm gear is plastic and can seem/appear fine until you stress it and "spread" a crack). Once you have exhausted these options, then there are some other clutch adjustments that may need to be examined through the right-hand case. I have not had to go there yet, though, so I can't speak with authority on that.

The bikes are notoriously finicky when it comes to finding neutral when hot because of the differences in expansion rates between the case and the clutch actuator parts. There is a certain degree to which you can "dial this out" with a bit of experimenting with cable slack. But if I were you, I would want first hand confirmation that the clutch adjustment is done correctly before entertaining anything downstream of that as a possible cause.

TC

alwaysworking;

You may have to remove the engine right side cover. In the picture you will see a star shaped device with 5 points. Its in behind the clutch. The foot operated shift lever operates a double hooked lever that engages that star device in order to change gears. Its been known for those parts to fail/ springs falls off etc. A Haynes manual shows how it works and how to adjust for correct gear changing.

Attachments

• CrankCaseNumbers.jpg
    CrankCaseNumbers.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 110
Back