Irregular Engine Rattle

FerroDesigns

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post here: I have a 1980 XS650 with a foot clutch and jockey shift. Recently replaced the front break and carbs, attached a picture. Once I got the new carbs it came to life and I've been riding it for the last couple weeks almost every day.

Finally went on the highway tonight for the first time and got the thing up to 70+ and it ran very well (vibrating like crazy - but very well). I got off the highway, drove several miles to my house and when I was a street away, pulling out from a stop, I started hearing a rattle in what i believe is the engine. It sounds like when you leave a quarter in the dryer, irregular bouncing around of something. When the bike is idling, no rattleing. Once it gets over a couple mph it starts happening. When in neutral, the bike will travel forward with the rattle, but it wont go backwards. It gets caught on what feels like whatever is rattling.

Has anyone experience this?

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 179
Sounds like you will be taking a trip into the RH cover for a look around. I'd be looking at shift springs and kick and e-start springs, clutches maybe the cush springs behind the clutch hub. Somethings nagging at me, but can't put a finger on it. severely worn sprockets can do something similar. loose drive sprocket?
Also open and check the valve adjuster nuts are tight!

Back