Is '78 worth the cost of fixing?

Kiowa Bill

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, new guy here. My '78 650 broke on me a couple of years ago. Wouldn't charge, stuck me out in the boonies. Wife wants me to get rid of it. Won't fetch much broken I guess. By now it not only needs the charging system fixed but also the carbs rebuilt-old gas still in the tank- and the head repaired or replaced (I have a replacement head) because I cross-threaded a spark plug. I'm disabled and gettin' old. I can't do the work myself anymore, except maybe the chargeing system. Has anyone bought and used one of those $289 "XS650 PMA Permanent Magnet Charging Kits" from ebay"? If so, do they work and are they complete or would I have to buy more parts? Also, is there anyone in the Denver-Colorado Springs area who could do the work for not so much money if I buy most of the parts? Finally, is it worth fixing up or should I just sell it for what ever I can get for it, not running. Sorry for the way too long question but I couldn't figure a way to shorten it.

No, but I have bought and use a Hughs Handbuilt PMA kit and love it. Comes with everything you need. I suck at anything mechanical and I did it in no time, if I can do it, anyone can do it. Buy the kit, try to put it on. If you can't, get your wife out there and have her do it for you.

What are you going to do with it if you fix it? Sell it? Sell it now and save yourself the grief. A lot depends on your situation. If you have to have someone else do the work I'd let it go. I am not looking forward to that day when I have to make those decisions, or worse have my kids make them for me.
Good luck,
whynot2

I know what old and disabled is like. Save your self time money and grief. Sell it like it is. You might not get back what you you spent to fix it.

So K.B. what are you thinking of doing? Winter is coming and guys are going to be looking for winter projects. If you aren't fixing it to ride yourself then let somebody have it who will, for a good price of course. You can dump an awful lot of money into these things and not see a dime of it. Right now I'm getting my best return on my bottle deposits, 20%.
whynot2

It only makes sense to fix it if you will actually enjoy fixing it. If you don't then you won't finish it anyway and you will just have more invested.

Yup everyone one wants a cheap old bike so they fix it on the installment plan, it might bring 4-500 now and if you dump $500 and 40 hours of labor into it you might get $900 out of it. Dump it and buy a scooter there are some damn nice scooters out there these days.

Got to test the brakes on the rocket tonight, just missed bambi, other than that and so many bugs on the shield it was hard to see by the end, great ride.

Bill, welcome to the forum!

Throwing money at the problem is sometimes a good strategy, but this won't end at the charging system. Try imagining the outcomes (I call it the taste test): Imagine how it would feel to not have it there? Is the bike haunting you in a way, like an obligation? Would it be worth it to have it gone, and a little cash in your wallet?

Then imagine paying to have it fixed, or fixing it yourself. Then what? Ride it? Sell it? Are you asking because you really want to ride it again? What about the option of getting something newer and more trouble-free?

If you're like most people wrestling with a decision, imagining how you'll feel at the end of the day might make you sigh with relief, and then you'll know.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Then don't do that."

I have several things going on that, for one reason or another, I've told myself I "have to" do. I'm a failure, a quitter, if I don't do it. But when I think about my options, I sometimes realize that the most satisfying one is to let it go.

First, define what you plan to do with the bike. You said you are disabled, are you able to ride? Do you ride now? Do you plan to ride? You said you were older, age is not necessarily a problem. I'm 73 and have been riding around 60 years. Again, it depends on the individual. Is the bike worth repairing? Again, this depends on you. High quality work is expensive, it always has been. If you have to pay someone to do all the work needed to bring the bike to rideable condition, it's probably not worth it. If the bike is a member of the family, it belonged too _______. Then it definitely is worth repairing.

I'm not seeing a devoted 650 lover here. The fact that it broke down a few years ago and you just let it sit is telling me that. Sell it now for whatever it will bring. Then waste that money on silly shit like going out to dinner and paying to have your car washed.

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the opinions. I may not sound like a 650 lover but I had a lot of fun before it broke down. Couldn't fix it due to cash restraints.Disability doesn't leave much extra for non-essentials. The vote seems to be to sell it as-is. Hate to but it makes sense. Think I was just hoping. So I'll just sell it. Can anyone fill me in on how to post it here? Get it the best home I can. And thanks again everybody. Sorry for the delay in posting, don't get on line very often.

There is a Classified section in the forum. You can list it there. Be sure to include pictures or you will be wasting your time...

IMHO start out about 6 or 700. A complete titled bike with minor issues should be worth that. But without pics it's hard to tell for sure If you are close to a metro area it should bring good bux.

tough decision to make and I think I can see the problem.

When you're getting on a bit in years ,all jobs are a huge mental and physical effort.

You start to make excuses why you can't or shouldn't do it ....:wink2: then the missus starts getting on ya case.

' when ya gonna do something about that bike ...its just sitting out there rusting and taking up space yada yada.......:D sound familiar..

I know you have a disability and money is an issue but what the heck... if the bike gives you pleasure what are you going to replace that with ?..... sitting in the armchair staring out the window wishing you could go out and fire up your bike and go for a blast ?

I think you should make one final effort with this bike . Make some enquiries locally with other bike riders , pop into your local bike shop or put up a couple of postcards asking for help. If you were near me I'd come round to help you out and it would be a pleasure .

Tackle each issue seperately one at a time so that the whole repairs thing doesn't overwhelm you. Give the bike a good clean and polish and set a few dates to get things done which will help motivate you.

Take some pictures and post them here and there are loads of really knowledgable folk on here that will help you.

Don't give in or it will set the stage to give in on other things and before you know it you'll be a lazy old git like me !:D

good luck

Back