is it ok to ground the battery box?

Explorer352

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, '81 Special, stock

I know that the batt box is not grounded originally, but i was wondering if there is a reason. Does it have to do with the relays/whatever that are mounted on the right side of it?

I made a regulator/rectifier combo from the radio shack/chrysler method, and am having trouble getting it all to fit in the original location... thought it would be nice to mount it to battery box, but the regulator needs to be grounded
Thanks in advance
David

I believe the battery box is not isolated for electrical reasons but rather to mitigate vibration. You could tie the box to the frame electrically but probably easier, better to run a ground wire from the frame to your reg. Remember the rectifier needs good ventilation, the stock location provided that.

roy

Thx for the feedback roy

Being able to ground the rectifier wasnt my concern. I was worried that when i do ground it, because it's attached to the batt. box, whatever else is attached to it (relays, etc) would also now be grounded. I hadn't thought of the vibration aspect. As far as heat goes, it will be attached to bottom of box on a huge computer processor heat sink with lots of fins. Thats the main reason it wont fit in original location.

Mine is mounted on the bottom of my battery box also. Do you have any pics of the CPU cooler attached man? I'd love to see that, seems like a great idea?

There is no electrical reason to not ground the battery box. It is mounted on rubber insulators just for vibration cushioning for the battery.

Explorer352,

Wow...:eek:...that rig could go negative on the thermal resistance chart and start making power on its own....:wtf:

Back