is it safe to weld mounting brackets to the forks sleeve

blackedout

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just got this 1980 xs650, the bike comes pretty costume, which i like but it did not come with front brake, which i am not to fond of. Im trying to see if i can just buy new fork sleeves with the mounting on them but they are expensive. And my second option is to take the sleeves to a fabricator to weld on bolts for the caliper. My question is? Is it safe at all to do that or should i go the expensive route and just buy OEM sleeves. Or is there an another alternative?

Find a used lower leg. Post an ad in the classifieds here.
:thumbsup: to you for putting a brake on it, the life you save...........
Edit: RG you give the more complete answer. Total agreement, welding on a fork leg is a non starter, the tube will warp and be useless.

Shaving the forks to get that "look" is a pretty dumb thing to do. These are brakes we're talking about................your life could depend on it.

Welding on to the fork legs................bad idea. Shop around (classified on this site), and buy another set of fork legs or buy everything.......stantion, damper etc. Spend what you need to spend, not an area to go cheap.

Edit: gggGary...................you type faster than I do, LOL

probably find some one to trade fork lowers if yours are decent, post a pic in the classifieds some guys don't want the front brake :eek:

yeah if the person that shaved them did a good job you could pry just straight up trade with someone that doesnt want to do it or pay to have it done.

Yea I really car for front brakes and i got this idea from some idiot at a dealer ship where i tried buying some new forks, until he told me the price. then he suggested welding some on but did not recommend it at all so it was worth a shot to see what other people though. The thing is the legs do not seem like that were saved but instead stock, but i dont know who would not want to have front brakes

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

I have no experience with this guy but hear they are cheap. Good Luck!

Yeah good old forking by frank has been around since at least the 70's. I think the original proprietor is gone now. They do tubes but not legs AFAIK. I have seen a bunch of old FBF tubes, several with the chrome worn off at the leg top. Is (was) his chrome lower quality or do extended forks increase the side loads at that point?????

Blacked out; might be good idea to post up pics, it's possible those are not XS650 legs.....

full

great well I guess ill just have to find some one that actually does not want front breaks and would like to make an even trade.....

I should be getting another set of forks soon. Maybe we can trade. I live in Orlando too.

Hey, I see you're looking for a set of forks that haven't been shaved. May be interested in a trade. I have a set that haven't been shaved on my bike now that I was planning on shaving. I live over in Deltona and work in Orlando. Let me know if you want to try and work something out. Thanks, Jeff

yea that sounds good.. what year are they off of and if your thing of taking of your break system what what are you going to do with them (caliper, disc, brake line)....

Back