Is my battery shot? Or my starter?

AirsoftNY

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Help!

Simplified wiring diagram, pamco and PMA swap.

My bike started fine just last week. I have a volt meter that shows my battery at a charge between 12v and 13v. But when I go to start it, the starter barely turns over, and my voltmeter starts to drop the more I try, it's gotten as low as 8v. Tried charging it a couple of hours, got back a full charge and same thing happened. It's like the starter drains the battery in 2-3 attempts at starting, and it's not even turning over. I hear the click of the relay and the starter motor just barely moves.

The battery is about a year and a half old, was kept on a tender over the winter.

I'm hoping this is my battery?

thanks!

Aaron

Just take the battery to an automotive parts store that sells batteries, they will have a battery load tester.

Your bike's charging system needs to put out 14.2 volts at 3500 rpm, in order to keep the battery fully charged.

Thanks RG, I'll take it out and have it tested.

What would cause this battery to go bad when it was fine just last week? It's only about a year old, had not even been used on a ride yet. I always take the key oou when it's parked, and keep the battery on a tender.

Is it a good idea to try to jumpstart it with my car?

thanks

Aaron

Jump starting from a car is ok if the car is not running. When running and you crank the bike the car regulator notices the draw and kicks in the alternator to full output. The bikes electrics won't like the 100 amp surge from the car alternator.
I might go over the wiring. It could be a bad ground.
Leo

Back