Is there any difference between ....

Poverty

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
a set of 78 carbs and a set of 82 carbs? I have two sets on 78 and one 82 .. for use on my 78 engine .. and I was wondering if there is any difference between the two .. before I list the 78 set forsale .. ( I need to fund my build) and screw myself

thanks

Huge difference. The '78 set are the BS38s, the '82 set are BS34s, completely new carb and requiring different mounts. You can use either set. Both have benefits and short comings.

Ok I need more elaboration .. I understand they are different .. and mount different .. but How would I go about deciding which to keep and which to sell .. the 82 set came off a running bike .. the 78s need some work .. like a float and seals ECT but the slides are free moving

Have you read the carb guide yet? It covers all the carbs and explans a lot of the differences. www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
From the limited experence I have had with the BS34 carbs I think the BS34's give better drivabilty. better transition from idle to mid range and from mid to wot.
The BS38's might have a bit better wot. I think I like the BS34's better.
What I might do is try both sets on your bike, see which you like better. Then sell off what you don't need.
Leo

Back