Is this a good choice for street tracker......

DBK81

I'm not XS, but I am a KZ
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site, new to building a flat tracker, but not to building bikes, looks like this site is going to be an amazing resource.

Anyhow not lucky enough to be able to locate a XS but did pickup a running 1977 KZ650 for $500, plan is to make a nice little street tracker, although it's not a light twin it is a pretty light 4cyl.

My plan is to use the tail below, looking at the tires below (Vee Rubber VRM 163), and the tail light setup below, still not sure where to go on the headlight, would like to do a number plate with two 1" cutouts to put round projectors through, kinda like below.

One question I have is, is it common for street trackers to run rearsets? I have a few set kicking around from old cafe racer builds and race bikes and thought about going that route.

Let me know if there are any do's and don'ts I should be looking out for, or if this bike is going to make a poor street tracker candidate to begin with.

What style of bars is most everyone running, seem to be an mx bar but not sure the common rise and pull back?

Here is a picture of the KZ, figured dual disc up front and disc in the back was a good start.

Thanks in advance for the help.

(Mod's Sorry for the double post put it in the wrong forum the first time) :banghead:

Attachments

• nEO_IMG_New3112_006.jpg
    nEO_IMG_New3112_006.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 148
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 164
  • vrm163vh.jpg
    vrm163vh.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 146
  • plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 152
  • xr-750-1.jpg
    xr-750-1.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 135
You'll like that KZ, I have one myself! Do yourself a favor, get some new coils and a Dyna S ignition before you even mess with any of the rest of it... Did wonders for my ol' gal...

yeah, man! strip it down, clubmans, or clip ons, that seat/pan. go for it!

I am thinking about going with a set of CR Low MX bars, I have a set of clubmans but I think the MX bars would be a better look and better handling.

Attachments

• bodyparts-pro-taper-offroad-handlebars-contour-pastrana-mx-rm-low-jet-black.jpg
    bodyparts-pro-taper-offroad-handlebars-contour-pastrana-mx-rm-low-jet-black.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 129
Had many of those over the years. Myself thats not a tracker, it's a potential hot rod. But hey it's yours! They couldn't outrun the Suzy GS750 stock back in the day, but stock CB750's and Yammie 750 trips ran scared. Advance the timing 2 degree's, run Champ N2C plugs and Premium fuel for a cheap performance boost, was popular when they first came out in 77. I see it still has the original airbox. If the screw on air inlet still has the tube with the holes drilled in it, that sticks into the air filter, cut it off at the point where the funnel shape begins

Last edited:
Back