Is this a good deal for a 1971 Norton Commando

cmattina1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The bike is pretty much ALL original in mint shape.

The price is 4500, it's in town.

i have very little money but figure for that price I can't lose, i.e. i could re-sell it on ebay in a heart beat.

What do you guys think?

As long as you don't steal it.

If I don't buy it, I could have a look at it for you...

Attachments

• 61989ae_20.jpg
    61989ae_20.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 444211_20.jpg
    444211_20.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 238
  • 8703ba6_20.jpg
    8703ba6_20.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 7796cgj_20.jpg
    7796cgj_20.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 237
I watch em, I used to be a Norton guy long ago. You just have to know what to look for. They can be a money pit, parts aren't dirt cheap like XS650 parts. Nice machines. I think I would want the disc. but for just cruising around I guess the drum would be OK.

I don't know anything about old Nortons in terms of which models are more or less desirable, reliable, valuable etc. but an early 70's Commando sounds good on paper for $4500, especially given you're in Thunder Bay (I grew up in Winnipeg). Given the relative population in the area there won't be too many of these rolling around or getting dusty in barns, and shipping bikes isn't something most people want to get into.

Go see the guy with $4K in cash and see what happens. Worst case give him a deposit and go to the bank machine for the rest.

cmattina did you ever figure out the noise in the 75 engine?

No, never did!

I did get a stethescope and listened around and it did indeed sound more to be coming from the bottom end. Though, that was almost a year ago now and I could have been more thorough at the time. Also, it started up fine after sitting all winter, and I have already put a couple hundred km on it. Still runs good.

I had the pleasure of seeing this beauty in person last week . 1975 with only 44 original miles on it. Everything on this bike is original .

100_0322.jpg

Nice unmolested Nortons are getting hard to find.

Honestly, that Norton looks a bit shabby to me. The tank is glass and will need to be replaced with a steel tank. I would love a well sorted Norton bought from a true enthusiast but if I ran into a tired Norton I would not pay a premium price.

I owned a 1971 Norton new in '71. Light and powerful, the Norton would run away from any bike in 1971. Then the kawasaki Mach 4 and Z-1 came on the scene. Nortons are a PITA but are still winning lots of vintage races and the aftermarket is vast. Look at this gallery:

http://www.coloradonortonworks.com/about/gallery.asp

Tom

thanks tom, thats some good info. I might as well hold out! for that matter there seems to be a decent amount of non running commandos for under 2000

If you do buy a Commando you will need to sell every other project and concentrate entirely on the Norton. They are that intensive. That isn't to say the bike isn't worth it. It's as light as an SR500 with 10 more HP than a XS650. The Isolastic frame is so smooth it makes a BMW feel buzzy. A Commando is the ultimate expression of the roadster/standard style. I'm in love with the look of a stock Norton. There is a BIG reason the Norton guys are so enthusiastic but at the same time, an XS is so easy to live with compared to a Norton.

I don't mean to discourage a purchase but a Norton isn't a bike build in a modern factory.

Tom

Hey I put a lot of miles on well used Nortons back in the day, they hold up pretty well. A buddy of mine still has one of my original Norton's (combat commando) and he keeps it ready to ride.

JP%26Norton.JPG

Same guy on my bike in 1975

JP-XS650.jpg

Nope not me, a good friend though. We been doing stupid stuff together since it was push gocarts built out of old lawnmower parts and 2x4s. We gauged our success on how far down the BIG hill outside his dad's garage the carts would make it before coming apart.

Back