Is this best forum for XS750s? New owner here!

streetxs

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I just bought a non-running '78 XS750 and I'm looking for a good forum, but this is the only one people recommend! Is there a forum that's more dedicated to those models?

Also, what am I doing wrong here -- when I jump on the kick starter, it only makes a mechanical sound. It doesn't sound or feel like it's engaging the engine. I have the clutch handle zip-tied to the handlebar, would that affect the kick starter?

Am I doing something wrong or is the kick starter not engaging for a reason other than user error?

Thanks everyone!

Not really up on the XS750 but i think you need to have the bike in neutral and don't have the clutch lever pulled in

Not really up on the XS750 but i think you need to have the bike in neutral and don't have the clutch lever pulled in
Yes my problem was that I had the clutch in, it was zip-tied and I don't know why that wasn't registering with me!

Now I just need to find a forum for XS750s... Anyone?

IDK, the first two I looked at before and they're mostly archives/info. The second one doesn't seem too active. The Reddit community is too broad.

I think you people are stuck with me here!
:lmao:

Well... I'm documenting a '74 DT250 and '68 BSA Victor build here.... at least yours has XS in the name. :laugh2:

Welcome to the madhouse! :smoke:

IDK, the first two I looked at before and they're mostly archives/info. The second one doesn't seem too active. The Reddit community is too broad.

I think you people are stuck with me here!
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Information is scarce and one of the better sites that i had bookmarked went belly up. Lost a lot of good info, luckily i had most of the important stuff for a model i have, downloaded............ If there is anything that may be of use, in any links posted, then i would download what i wanted before that 2 disappears

I have recently rekindled my interest in doing a mixed up race replica sort of thing using an XS 850. I even put it up on the bike stand on Saturday and started sorting some odds and ends.
A few on here have triples I think you will be welcome.

I have recently rekindled my interest in doing a mixed up race replica sort of thing using an XS 850. I even put it up on the bike stand on Saturday and started sorting some odds and ends.
A few on here have triples I think you will be welcome.
Thanks! 650Skull and Jim here have been pretty helpful so far.

I bought this bike after many Hondas and Suzukis. It needs paint, wiring, fuel lines, a battery, tires. But I got it for $300, so anything added should pay for itself.

Pretty cool with a shaft drive, three disks, DOHC, and a great vintage/cafe style!

My other XS.
1646053347760.png

Show us yours.

Do a basic engine, transmission, clutch, health check before whipping out a money gun.
compression test. would be right up there.
Like nearly all Yamahas of the era (XS650 excepted) 2nd gear shift fork is a common issue. But it needs to be running moving to confirm/eliminate.
Is it a special or a standard?

On a 650 holding clutch in wont spin the motor for starting kicking ( older versions at least )
And a not correctly adjusted clutch will feel as if not engaging.
Some bikes have electrical protective circuit stopping starting if not in neutral / kickstand down and so

If it was me I would see to that the clutch handle is out ..and the wire is not sticking
have it in neutral and kick -..if no resistance I would loosen the clutch on the adjuster
until there is resistance on XS650 at the left engine case adjuster

It can be other things but above as a starting Point.

Back