Is this discoloration around carb gasket a problem?

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone - once again I'd be grateful for your opinion on a technical question related to a 1981 Special I am evaluating for purchase. It runs well, 10k miles, and the owner says the carbs are clean.

I noticed the carbs have an odd silver coloration near where they are attached to the engine. My guess is that it is some kind of a gasket sealant that was over applied when the carbs may have been cleaned, and reassembled?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.:bike:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 298
That's the spigot or carb holder. Looks like some kind of sealant on there, maybe to patch a crack in the rubber? The bowl screws look new, so maybe they were trying to fix a problem there ?

Looks to me like the metal cover over the carb holders were painted at one time and now it's almost all pealed off.

If it is paint it sure was a poor job. It seems to be thicker towards the top with a ridge in it and also towards the top where it breaks over to the "fingers" of the clamp.
But if I was looking for a bone to worry I'd look closer at the other end.
It appears the intake boot between the the box and carb is ripped. If so how long was it run that way. And how much grit has it sucked.
But the photo quality and my eyes are questionable so take what I say with skepticism.

JayR you really are having a hard time pulling the trigger eh?

If it is paint it sure was a poor job. It seems to be thicker towards the top with a ridge in it and also towards the top where it breaks over to the "fingers" of the clamp.
But if I was looking for a bone to worry I'd look closer at the other end.
It appears the intake boot between the the box and carb is ripped. If so how long was it run that way. And how much grit has it sucked.
But the photo quality and my eyes are questionable so take what I say with skepticism.

JayR you really are having a hard time pulling the trigger eh?

Thanks fellas - yeah I noticed that rip afterwards too. There were a few other oddities with this one that make me leery to do a long distance buy.

Yeah WER, haha driving me nuts :banghead:. The problem is I found 2 or 3 perfect bikes.....but one is 1,000 miles away and the other is in flipping Seattle. Not good I'm in CT. I'd have to ship it and that just gets too darn expensive. So the search continues. I'm OK driving a bunch of hours, but trying to keep it a day trip.

Can't blame you for not wanting to drive to far.
Check purplezingers classified ad.

maybe paint. who knows? All I know is that motor has been apart recently. the head fins are not painted, the rocker cover and cylinder block is black. may want to ask why? If he says rebuild, ask by who? if he says by him, what are the specs on the motor, why was it rebuilt? if a garage did it, receipts.
Also, the case is silver. I thought all of the 81 engines were painted black? even the carbs. check the motor number behind the front motor mount, and see if it matches the neck number. it should. is it a fair price? might be worth over looking these things, since it does run well.
I do believe you when you say it runs good, but who's been it it? Quality of work. don't mean to scare you.
Btw, 2500 is actually a good price for that.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4392349628.html

It isn't a Heritage Special. Those were 82-83.
The 82 the all black, the 83 chrome fenders with black carbs, case, head and rocker box.
The HS were the only models with the small lower side covers.
There might be a picture of one in my album.

maybe paint. who knows? All I know is that motor has been apart recently. the head fins are not painted, the rocker cover and cylinder block is black. may want to ask why? If he says rebuild, ask by who? if he says by him, what are the specs on the motor, why was it rebuilt? if a garage did it, receipts.
Also, the case is silver. I thought all of the 81 engines were painted black? even the carbs. check the motor number behind the front motor mount, and see if it matches the neck number. it should. is it a fair price? might be worth over looking these things, since it does run well.
Btw, 2500 is actually a good price for that.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4392349628.html

Thanks Angus, it does sound good on YouTube. $850 for shipping is a killer though.
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/4340925769.html
I talked to the owner of this 81, it's sweet - the 81 Special is only one with mags and drum rear brake which is what I'm really looking for. He is notarizing the title he said, and in a the middle of moving but we agreed to catch up next week. I'm not sure he will be able to do a long distance sale though. Too bad b/c the shipping would only be $300.

Thanks WER - I just sent him an email. I like the way he shaved the seat and the bars. Good price too depending on miles. Either way he obviously has taken great care of it.

OK to show you where I am, I talked to the owner of this one and may go check it out. This would fall in the category of "alright I found a beater for cheap and I'll do that build I've been thinking about". He's a younger guy, just started working at a shop, and found this in some guys garage. The guy was going to do a build, futzed around with it, and then didn't do anything for 4 years. Eric bought it off him, slapped the parts back together mostly, and it starts with good compression on both cylinders. Front brake doesn't work, holds a charge well. He didn't ride it thought the gears because of the sketchy front brake.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/4396315646.html
I might do it for $800 or so.......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
its all fixable...get it.

Roger that Angus. Met the owner today, nice kid from Montana living in Brooklyn and into 650's. We did a cold compression test on the spot and had 110 and 140 readings. A bit bigger of a spread than preferred but what the hell. Engine and frame numbers match and the ID chart (thanks Forum) pegs it as an XS-J Heritage. The frame tag says the build date was September 1981.

It looks better in person (always do) and engine sounds strong. No play in the drive train/chain, and the swing arm bushings are good (thanks again Skull650/Forum for the buyer tip guide). Blinkers, side covers and box air filters all in a box.

Wild card is the clutch, but I can fix that if needed - part of the bargain. He agreed to my counter offer and the plan is to pick it up in the morning weather permitting. All things considered, a good compression, near street ready 1982 XS for $900 not too bad.

Thanks again to you and the "forum" contributors. Your feedback and expert input are very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Compression not good but the price an't bad. New pistons, pins, rings and clips for $80 + shipping on ebay. Here. Any pistons 447 from 74 -83 will fit your engine.

Before you go buying new parts for the clutch do some searching and measure the plates. Clutch can be bought back with work with existing parts sometimes.

Compression not good but the price an't bad. New pistons, pins, rings and clips for $80 + shipping on ebay. Here. Any pistons 447 from 74 -83 will fit your engine.

Before you go buying new parts for the clutch do some searching and measure the plates. Clutch can be bought back with work with existing parts sometimes.

So I know from the buyers guide that a 10% spread in compression between the 2 cylinders is OK. And that 140 is "excellent" and 110 is "good". Does the weaker compression reading indicate a problem with that cylinder do you think? If the weaker one needs attention, probably makes sense to work on the other at the same time?

You might ride it a bit and then do another compression test.
Did you lift the slides while testing?

Don't worry about it to much now. Get it home and if you can get it running go from there. The whole bike will need to be gone over, starting from electrics, carbs and brakes

he means the slides in the carbs. prop them up with a twig, and open the throttle all the way, kick until the needle stops moving. did you put some oil in the cyliders? could just be really dry in there, not sealing.