Is this hub trash?

Jerm

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Came in a parts lot. Decent chunk missing. Useable or a nice chunk of scrap aluminum?

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 69
I guess somebody thought it was trash, else it wouldn't be loose from the rest of the wheel :)

It looks like somebody filed where metal was pushed out from the hit, so a seal would go in. It looks like it might have gotten broken trying to get the seal or bearing out.

If it just had that chip missing and wasn't cracked, I might use it. The force on it is further in, in the bearing. If I used it, I'd put a dab of sealer in the chip before I put the seal in.

It doesn't look that bad from the pictures. I'd have it welded then clean up the weld and use it. :twocents:

Sad thing is that somebody planned on using it. It came with a "project bike" I recently picked up. I am too OCD to use it, but wanted someone to back up my assumption that it is trash.

It is not nonsensical at all. If it was agreed that it was junk I would scrap it. Instead, I have learned that it would be totally useable for someone interested in welding and grinding. Thanks for your input regarding the matter.

I'm glad you're anti welding and grinding. I hate those bikes.

Fix it and use it...LOTS of life in it still...

Back