Official CX Refurb Thread

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
cx1.jpg

cx2.jpg

Okay, it's a CX650, 1983 model. A plethora of cosmetic issues, most of which are minor and will likely disappear as part of the cafe' theme anyway. DPO (Dreaded Previous Owner) claims it does run, we'll see about that. Need to find a key or contact him about one. DPO is a kid that I've mentored since he was a pre-teen and the bike was given to him in it's current condition.

Missing side covers, broken rear turn signals, trashed seat (which would be shitcanned anyway...) quite a lot of light surface rust from sitting outdoors, no springs on either side stand or center stand (???). Haven't looked at the mufflers, but they're on the list for "something neater".

I'll add to this as things progress.

Honda was very clever with that bike. Push rod design and spins to 9500 (?)rpm. I seem to recall road tests back in the day reporting that it was a very quick bike.

Popcorn......
Quick by standards back in the day. Super reliable too. Many were run into the ground by couriers with well over 100k miles; and poor servicing if any at all.
Known as 'The Maggot' here in Blighty.

First hurdle cleared: Pulled the instrument panel apart far enough to read the key code on the ignition switch and ordered a set of keys from FeeBay.

Been a LONG time since I was in the headlight bucket of an 80's bike. I'm not sure I'll be able to stuff all that shit back in there when the time comes...:yikes: :laugh:

I had the opportunity to buy one of these bikes 2X this summer. I think it’s going to be the next project after the winter is over. I can’t afford the space right now and I know if I got one, the beetle would never get on the road, in 2024. There’s a couple of nice ones for sale locally right now. They are what I believe was called the Euro spec. Small fairing and some other plastic panels. Nice, original ones are fetching $9-$10K Cdn up here. There was a nice cafe racer for sale not too far from here. If I can find the ad I’ll post a pic.

Yes, Canada got a very nice Euro version of the CX650. I saw one once at BMW rally down at Watkins Glen but it may have been an older one than what you have pictured. It wasn't two-tone paint (just all silver I think) and didn't have a fairing. But it was definitely that Euro style with the lower bars and more rearset pegs. I wanted one, lol.

Th
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?height=476&href=https://www.facebook.com/mike.blackburn.125/videos/1529570673791199/&show_text=false&width=285&t=0" width="285" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
This my 82' Cx500.... Ex Chicago PD Click on the downsize from full screen lower right corner. it should work from my facebook. 😎

Th

This my 82' Cx500.... Ex Chicago PD Click on the downsize from full screen lower right corner. it should work from my facebook. 😎
Those CX500 or 650 were the base engine for Honda's factory race team flat track program when they decided to go flat track racing in the USA. Engine was turned sideways in the frame. Very cool.
A friend had a CX500 Special about a 1980 model ( I think) . He rode it quite a bit. Only issue was it developed a coolant leak from the water pump seal, which if I remember was behind, or was it, in front of the cylinders. Guess I don't remember.

I’ll be following this thread with interest @Downeaster. Will be interesting what parts availability will be like, as well as tech support from the CX groups. I think we’ve all been spoiled by xs650.com - the best forum I’ve ever been involved with! 👍

With my Ducati and Moto Guzzi groups, support was weak and the groups were populated by many not so “courteous” members. Good luck with the project!

Last edited:
I’ll be following this thread with interest @Downeaster. Will be interesting what parts availability will be like, as well as tech support from the CX groups. I think we’ve all been spoiled by xs650.com! With my Ducati and Moto Guzzi, I found on line support was weak and the groups were populated by younger, not so “courteous” members. Good luck with the project!
I can not imagine a "support group" being discourteous. I have met some members here and each and every have been "top notch" folks. We may have wildly different back grounds or outloòks, but each and every has been willing to share information and knowledge.

I can not imagine a "support group" being discourteous. I have met some members here and each and every have been "top notch" folks. We may have wildly different back grounds or outloòks, but each and every has been willing to share information and knowledge.
I was referring to some of the Ducati and MG groups I’ve joined. I’ve amended my post. XS650.com is top notch!

I'm favorably impressed with the CX group so far. There's a time lag (questions here are usually addressed within minutes) but answers do come and are helpful and polite.

Parts availability is going to be a little more sketchy I think. For instance, I have no air filter and it's NLA from Honda and so far there is no aftermarket for it. Common work-arounds appear to be re-wrapping the original cage or deleting the airbox and going with pods. I'm not a huge fan of the airbox delete approach, but it looks very much like I may not have any choice.

I'm favorably impressed with the CX group so far. There's a time lag (questions here are usually addressed within minutes) but answers do come and are helpful and polite.

Parts availability is going to be a little more sketchy I think. For instance, I have no air filter and it's NLA from Honda and so far there is no aftermarket for it. Common work-arounds appear to be re-wrapping the original cage or deleting the airbox and going with pods. I'm not a huge fan of the airbox delete approach, but it looks very much like I may not have any choice.

Ahoy @Downeaster !

If I were looking for a CX part, I would try a motorcycle salvage yard. There were lots of those bikes sold back in the day and they were very, very durable, so I'd guess that somebody, somewhere has got an airbox sitting on a shelf waiting for you to come by and use it.

Best of luck - following with great interest!

Pete

Last edited:
Here’s a couple for sale up here. The cafe racer isn’t the one I saw before.

View attachment 254763View attachment 254764

Oooohhhh - pretty - and its got the rare "manual" transmission option! ;)

Actually, those cafe-style bikes were sold here in Canada and in Europe and were pretty popular. As I said earlier, not too fast, but really durable and super-duper easy to keep going.

Honda built two turbosupercharged versions of the CX that had essentially that same styling but with a larger "boy-racer" faring:
  • the CX500T (which apparently was quite a handful if you weren't well organized when the boost came on) and,
  • the much more civilized CX650T. Again, pretty quick and very durable.
I'd love to find a decent one of either type - I've always had a soft spot for shaft-drive bikes.

Last edited:
Back