Official CX Refurb Thread

Oooohhhh - pretty - and its got the rare "manual" transmission option!

Actually, those cafe-style bikes were sold here in Canada and in Europe and were pretty popular. As I said earlier, not too fast, but really durable and super-duper easy to keep going.

There were two turbosupercharged versions that had essentially that same styling but with a larger "boy-racer" faring:
  • the CX500T (which apparently was quite a handful if you weren't well organized when the boost came on) and,
  • the much more civilized CX650T. Again, pretty quick and very durable.
I'd love to find a decent one of either type - I've always had a soft spot for shaft-drive bikes.
They (turbo) popped up for sale this summer but were asking big money - $10-$11.5K. Would love one but others advised to be careful with the turbo models for parts availability. It was suggested that non turbo parts should be easier to find and if I follow through with my plan to get one next year, that’s what I’ll be looking for.

Glad the CX forum support looks strong. When I had my water Buffalo, many group members were from the UK and with time differences, sometimes delayed communications.

qJhGJVm.jpg

Cleared out a space in my nice new shop so I have a warm place to work. Still have access to all the equipment too!

Disassembled the front brakes. Fluid was VERY dark. Once apart and cleaned up, things look remarkably good, but when it comes time to reassemble I'll do a kit and stainless line anyway.

Interestingly, I seem to have hit critical mass. Wife wanted to know why I was pushing motorcycles around. Doesn't seem to have recognized that it's new/different, it's just "a motorcycle". I haven't tried to pull the wool over her eyes or anything, but I haven't specifically mentioned getting another bike either.

Currently have a GL Silverwing model that belonged to my wife's mother, she rode till she was 70, dropped it and the sons dragged their feet and never repaired it to keep her off of it.
Mostly cosmetic damage, but I've managed to find a replacement fairing and windshield. Remarkably outfitted, factory luggage, single and dual seats, and appropriate trunks and sissy bars for each.
On my list of projects.
Which CX forum are you following?
IMG_20210906_170428735_HDR.jpg

Stainless line, yes, but I don't think I'd do a kit unless it was leaking. The issue I've had with most Hondas I've ridden or worked on is they're just too civilized and refined. They have no "personality", lol. My buddy had a Silverwing and I rode it, and well ..... it did nothing for me, lol, too "blah".

I was referring to some of the Ducati and MG groups I’ve joined. I’ve amended my post. XS650.com is top notch!
I was just saying that this/these groups are sharing enthusiasm for a marque and I would think there would be mutual respect for each other as we seem to enjoy here.

Interestingly, I seem to have hit critical mass. Wife wanted to know why I was pushing motorcycles around. Doesn't seem to have recognized that it's new/different, it's just "a motorcycle". I haven't tried to pull the wool over her eyes or anything, but I haven't specifically mentioned getting another bike either.

DE - if she asks again about the bike - just ask her how many pairs of shoes she has.

THAT usually shuts down Mrs. MaxPete when she starts griping about my paltry 4-bike fleet.

P

I don't know why it's like that, but it is. I used to be heavy into the older BMWs. The people were very nice. At rallies, everyone was willing to share what they'd done to their bikes, even help you fix yours if need be. Then I got a Moto Guzzi and went to some of their rallies. What a difference. The people were all very tight lipped, like everything was a big secret, lol. You'd think they were riding Ducatis or something for crying out loud, lol. This 650 community reminds me a lot of the old BMW one, everyone's very nice and willing to share. This is one of the things that draws me to the bike, besides it being such a great bike.

I don't know why it's like that, but it is. I used to be heavy into the older BMWs. The people were very nice. At rallies, everyone was willing to share what they'd done to their bikes, even help you fix yours if need be. Then I got a Moto Guzzi and went to some of their rallies. What a difference. The people were all very tight lipped, like everything was a big secret, lol. You'd think they were riding Ducatis or something for crying out loud, lol. This 650 community reminds me a lot of the old BMW one, everyone's very nice and willing to share. This is one of the things that draws me to the bike, besides it being such a great bike.
Around here, at live meets, the MG group is quite friendly (Probably because there’s only 2 or 3 bikes out of 100). The Ducati guys (in person) seem to be quite a younger crowd and keep to themselves unless you own a crotch rocket like they do. If I meet up with vintage bike guys, they all seem to be interested in whatever you have, regardless of make, year, etc. As I’ve said so many times, this XS group is outstanding and I truly appreciate being a part of it.

DE - if she asks again about the bike - just ask her how many pairs of shoes she has.

THAT usually shuts down Mrs. MaxPete when she starts griping about my paltry 4-bike fleet.

P
No no no no no...that way lies disaster!

One of the many things I love about her is that she's the polar opposite of a clothes horse. When she discovered thrift shops and Goodwill, you'd think she had a free pass at Dior or Gucci. Wears exactly ZERO jewelry, does her own hair. Cheap date, in other words.

Stainless line, yes, but I don't think I'd do a kit unless it was leaking. The issue I've had with most Hondas I've ridden or worked on is they're just too civilized and refined. They have no "personality", lol. My buddy had a Silverwing and I rode it, and well ..... it did nothing for me, lol, too "blah".
Master cylinder cleaned up just fine, I'll anneal the crush washers on the banjo bolt and put it back together.

Caliper a bit less so, but still not bad. Slider boots were crusty, piston seals likewise and a lot of crud in the grooves. Also a lot of congealed snot in the bleeder and pressure passages. Pistons are fine, or will be with a bit of elbow grease. Ordered an All Balls seal kit for around $20 and caliper will be fine. Pads looked good, lots of life left.

Tried a Ewe Toob trick and pumped grease in via the bleeder to force the pistons out. Worked slicker than a smelt, much more controllable (and therefore less exciting) than using compressed air. It was a bit of work to clean the grease out of everything. Wiped off what I could reach, soaked the caliper body in a tub of paint thinner while I tended to other things, hosed it down with brake cleaner and blew it out good, then popped it in the sonic cleaner.

Agreed on the Honda personality, or more accurately, lack thereof. If I want an adrenaline rush, I'll hop on the FJ and whack the throttle open...

Progress report.

1. Cut to code key from EBay recieved and works in all three locks. Whew...

2. Carbs disassembled, run through the sonic cleaners, kitted and reassembled. Yay, Me! I did it without throwing anything and only invoked The Gods of Verbal Lubrication once. The throttle and choke linkage is sandwiched between the carbs, along with return springs, ball-and-socket throttle plate links, fuel transfer tubes and accelerator pumps. It would be a challenge for an octopus with thumbs to hold everything in place and get it back together. I looked at it closely before taking things apart and took several pictures with the phone which definitely saved my ass.

3. Master Cylinder disassembled, cleaned, inspected and reassembled. Caliper kit received today, that's this afternoon's project.

4. Spark plugs pulled. Ewwww. Judging by the soot on the electrodes, it was running REALLY rich. Those things are 6 inches down inside the valve cover and head and have been collecting rain water since Noah was a mess cook. I'll grab some fresh ones.

5. Drained the radiator. Coolant looked fresh, but I gotta pull all the plumbing and the thermostat to replace 40 year old o-rings, so fresh coolant will go back in when done.

EDIT: It pays to look around when ordering parts. First link I looked at for a carb kit wanted $90, I found one on Ebay for $12 and while it didn't include jets it had the lebendy-seven o-rings and seemed to cover all the bases when reassembling. A couple of sources made a point of NOT changing the jets unless you had too as the replacement jets were rarely, if ever, correct. Also found a caliper rebuild kit on Amazon for a very reasonable price, and it's an All Balls kit so decent quality. Prices and availability on those kits varied widely as well.

Last edited:
Progress report.

1. Cut to code key from EBay recieved and works in all three locks. Whew...

2. Carbs disassembled, run through the sonic cleaners, kitted and reassembled. Yay, Me! I did it without throwing anything and only invoked The Gods of Verbal Lubrication once. The throttle and choke linkage is sandwiched between the carbs, along with return springs, ball-and-socket throttle plate links, fuel transfer tubes and accelerator pumps. It would be a challenge for an octopus with thumbs to hold everything in place and get it back together. I looked at it closely before taking things apart and took several pictures with the phone which definitely saved my ass.

3. Master Cylinder disassembled, cleaned, inspected and reassembled. Caliper kit received today, that's this afternoon's project.

4. Spark plugs pulled. Ewwww. Judging by the soot on the electrodes, it was running REALLY rich. Those things are 6 inches down inside the valve cover and head and have been collecting rain water since Noah was a mess cook. I'll grab some fresh ones.

5. Drained the radiator. Coolant looked fresh, but I gotta pull all the plumbing and the thermostat to replace 40 year old o-rings, so fresh coolant will go back in when done.
Good progress. I often use the phone too to take pictures of complicated assemblies.

One of the nicer things about being retired (and there are plenty, ask any retiree) is that I have my own shop and no kids around so I'm the only one that uses it.

That means I can take something apart, lay it out in "exploded view" on my bench, come back to it hours, days or weeks later AND IT'S STILL THERE! JUST LIKE I LEFT IT! Whadda concept...

Those things are 6 inches down inside the valve cover and head
I owned a Honda NT650 Hawk and to change plugs was the same way...6" down a tunnel. You had to use a socket from the tool kit to get them out. It was very thin walled, a regular socket didn't fit the tunnel.

Great that it's the 650!
following. :popcorn:
for your viewing pleasure.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-honda-cx500-turbo-21/

Interesting - it doesn't actually say that the CX500 Turbo runs - although the advert does state that the selling dealer put 15 miles on it so I guess that query is answered.

I wonder how much it will sell for....

As I said earlier, the CX500 T was a real handful when the turbo kicked in. Apparently, the power delivery was very sudden and a little unpredictable as to just what was the magic RPM on that particular day.

P

I got the carbs reassembled and reinstalled. There are at least 4 wrong ways to go about it, but when you find the right one, it's fairly straight forward.

Which is good, because the fuel transfer pipe between float bowls leaks like a sieve. Half expected that as I had to guess at which o rings were right for them. Guessed wrong...

Looked up, verified and ordered all the o-rings to seal up the various water pipes and joints. That'll be next.

Did fill the floats long enough to crank it up. It took some fussing to get it to start, but it does run. Starter clutch kicks out as soon as it farts, thinking that may become an issue. Of course, you have to pull the engine out of the frame and remove the flywheel to get at the starter clutch...:poo::mad:

Back