Is this normal? UPDATED

88_pony

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the kick start input on the case. seems to have wear, and the oblong shape has me wondering.... I looked online and couldn't find a clear picture to compare.
20200423_211356.jpg

Screenshot_20200423-211023_Gallery.jpg
20200423_211006.jpg

To be honest, that's not something I ever looked at. What you're seeing could be normal for all I know, and even if it's not, I don't think I'd be too concerned with it. That kicker shaft isn't spinning all the time. It only turns any time you use the kicker and not at a very high speed when it does.

Inside lower case top hole just seemed odd shaped to be normal, trying to figure out where all the shaving came. Looked for picture of this, but could not find anything.
20200501_134320.jpg

Last edited:
20200501_134334.jpg

located on the opposite side, if this helps to id where it is. I removed the screw but could not remove the shaft

I'll look in some empty cases manyana.
Thanks gggGary! Regardless im using the case, I am just looking for the cause of this filing filled oil filters... I have not found anything yet that is the definite cause, so I am trying to X everything out that is out of the norm. Thanks again for the help!!

Looks to me like a casting/machining flaw. Prolly been there since it left the factory. If something was "chewin" on it, you should see some evidence of that... like jagged scrape marks or something along those lines.

Didn't find any open cases, they are "out there" somewhere. I'm going with what @Jim sez; just a casting void, flaw. in 88_pony pic above you can see the flow marks also. These XS650 castings are not the same quality as the stuff done nowadays, metallurgy HAS advanced a bit in 40 years.....

If the filings are Aluminum then another possibility is the front camshaft guide. If the rubber has deteriorated or delaminated from the guide, which is usual after 30+ years, the camchain will wear away at its Aluminum base.

Last edited:
That usually generates "powder" though, not shavings. Your drained oil will look like it has metal flakes in it (which it does, lol). Something like this .....

GSzF2dl.jpg

yeah so far the oil pump is my only spot with noticed wear and play, the engine will be going back together next week. I have another side cover and pump.

Back