issues with lacing rear wheel...( mikesxs rim)

Sorry, forgot about that. I was convinced it was a difference in hub widths but it was something else. The 16 inch stainless spokes from MikesXS have a slightly shorter head on them causing them not to clear the spoke flange in turn causing them to bow . I just bought OEM spokes(not stainless) on ebay. Fixed the problem.

I wonder if this is a problem with all of their spokes, or just certain one's.

I'm needing to do my 72.

Are you happy with the condition/looks of the OEM. I might just go for those too.

How about a pic.

Ya, I'm pleased with the OEM spokes. Not real happy that they are cad plated but they will do. I got a smokin deal on them. I think they were half price. A member on here told me to wax them before i laced the wheel which i did. I'll try to get a pic of the wheel tonight for ya.

I've had no problems with the 18" and 19" spokes from Mikes but problems with the 16" wheels, both spokes and rims, have been reported several times.

I wonder if this is a problem with all of their spokes, or just certain one's.

I'm needing to do my 72.

Are you happy with the condition/looks of the OEM. I might just go for those too.

How about a pic.

Here's a couple pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 189
Finally catching up to you guys. Seen this in the `70s, laced up many 16" to H*nda 750s, various spoke suppliers, or customer-supplied. The outers have to bend over more for the shorter radius, and the length change isn't a simple 1" shorter. Some suppliers got it wrong, some simply threw wrong spokes in package, real headache, learned to trust only certain suppliers. In desperate cases, was able to bend outers to fit, didn't like doing that, especially on custom chromed spokes. That's when we really saw the effects of hydrogen embrittlement, some spokes simply cracked. Started baking them to stop that, but generally started refusing to lace-up until proper spokes could be had...

I'm having some what of the same issue. Started with an OEM 18" wheel an trashed that keeping the stock hub. Bought te 16" rear wheel/spoke kit from Mikesxs.com. After lacing up the wheel everything went together fine but spokes seemed to be short. After securing the nipples with about 3 threads the wheel was fairly tight an still had about 3/8" of threads left. The shop that I brought it to for trueing said he can only get about 3-5 threads on every spoke. Anyone ever get or had short spokes? Waiting on a reply from mikesxs?

Are you 100% that is it is laced right? Shouldn't be shorter on length but anything is possible. Get me a measurement on one of your spokes.

Positive it's laced right and as far a length I'm uncertain I can measure when I get home here is a pic.. Notice the excess threads. Everything went together smoothly no bending of spokes or anything just short spokes?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 288
Lacing wheels is an art , not as easy as it looks . If you cant find OEM spokes I would recommend Buchanan's . If you lived near me I know a guy ( Ian March ) that laces and trues wheels for $70 bucks . The guy is a wizard ! He also builds race engines and races flat track/ dirt track .

The hubs did not change for the 16" wheels.
256-25311-00-00 16" hub 1979
256-25311-00-00 1978 hub
256-25311-00-00 1980 SII hub
256-25311-00-00 1974 hub

I used a mikes spoke set one time and it had one too many inners and was short one outer

:banghead: :shrug: :banghead:

The shop I took it to said everything looks fine the laces are just short. So what you guys are saying is try and find OEM ones then huh?

So let me ask you guy's this.

I've located NOS spokes locally for my 72. But they want $80 for the rear, and I haven't got a price on the front yet.

Would you spoke expert's go NOS, or give mike's stainless a shot.

Sounds like most of the problems people are having with Mike's spokes is when they are using a hub from an 18" wheel and lacing it to a Mike's 16" rim. Mikes stainless cost a little less if you don't have to pay for shipping .

Thats exactly what it sounds like, according to Mikesxs though the stock rear hub is compatable with either 16" or 18" doesnt matter. Ive sent them the issue to see if they have any suggestions

I thought the Mikes sets were fine, quality and size.

I chatted up a member who used a mikes set and an ebay taiwan set he felt the mikes set was much better. better threads heavier gauge.

Back