issues with lacing rear wheel...( mikesxs rim)

malloym

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i'm having issues lacing a rear wheel. ( not my first time lacing a wheel) I got a 16x2.5 wheel from mikes with the stainless spoke kit. the inner spokes ( shorter head) went in fine, the outer spokes have to be pushed over about 1/2 inch to line up with the holes. ( like i'm bending the spoke. ) this doesn't seem right. any known issues with the mikes rims or am I doing something wrong.. thanks for any help.

i'm having issues lacing a rear wheel. ( not my first time lacing a wheel) I got a 16x2.5 wheel from mikes with the stainless spoke kit. the inner spokes ( shorter head) went in fine, the outer spokes have to be pushed over about 1/2 inch to line up with the holes. ( like i'm bending the spoke. ) this doesn't seem right. any known issues with the mikes rims or am I doing something wrong.. thanks for any help.

The only thing I can think of is that you have to make sure the outer spoke is "on top" of the inner spoke, I just laced a 19 and 18 inch from mikes xs and they both went together without a hickup. good luck.

Well, all rims are different, but I recently laced a 64 spoke 19" rim from MikesXS and it took me three tries to get it right, but the end result was perfect. It helps if you have an identical wheel to go by, which I didn't have.

haven't mixed up your inners with your outers have you?
Outers feed through from the inside & have the longer more angled heads & inners obviously feed through from the outside & have the shorter less angled heads.

My Stainless spokes from mikes laced up perfect 1st time.

haven't mixed up your inners with your outers have you?
Outers feed through from the inside & have the longer more angled heads & inners obviously feed through from the outside & have the shorter less angled heads.

My Stainless spokes from mikes laced up perfect 1st time.

Good point hotdog! I forgot about that.

I've had this same problem. I haven't used the rim from Mike's though. I originally had an 18 inch rear and wanted to down size to a 16 inch rear with the stainless spokes from XS650 Direct. It seems like all the outers are bowing. I've had no solution to this problem to date.
It is an XS rim i'm using so I don't know what the problem could be. I didn't mix the spokes up either. I'll be watching this thread so see what you came up with.

well I got the thing laced up, but the outer spokes don't seem right. also the nipples are not sitting in the holes flush. i'll post some pics to have my work evaluated. the only thing I can think of is that with the 16 inch wheel the spokes are really short causing an alignment issue... pics to follow

malloym,
There definitely is something wrong. You should never have to bend spokes. Take it apart and start over.
When all the spokes are in and before you start truing the wheel, they should be loose and moveable, not bent and stressed.
Look for the longer nipples like HotDog said.
Good luck.

malloym,
There definitely is something wrong. You should never have to bend spokes. Take it apart and start over.
When all the spokes are in and before you start truing the wheel, they should be loose and moveable, not bent and stressed.
Look for the longer nipples like HotDog said.
Good luck.

i agree!! it almost seems the holes on the rim are not drilled properly.

lacingwheels022_zps48cd8542.jpg

spoke nipples not seated on the outers
lacingwheels027_zpsb6795adf.jpg

outer spokes bending over

lacingwheels029_zpsfe6c7368.jpg

lacingwheels028_zps3e906a3f.jpg

what the heck is going on here.

edit... i do have the inner and outer spokes correctly sorted. this seems to be an issue with the 16 inch rim. never had an issue with 18's, 19's etc....

Start over.
Remove all your spokes.
Take all 36 spokes, 18 per side made up of 9 inner and 9 outer spokes per side, so 18 of each type.
The head, the end with the 90 degree bend, will be 2 different lengths. You should count 18 of each. If not you have the wrong spokes. Not a lot of difference in head lengths so check carefully.
Once you have them sorted, the long ones are for the outers and as HotDog said, lace in from the inside out. Where you have the bent ones now.
Good luck.

PS: Nice looking hub/wheel, congrats on the clean up!

Start over.
Remove all your spokes.
Take all 36 spokes, 18 per side made up of 9 inner and 9 outer spokes per side, so 18 of each type.
The head, the end with the 90 degree bend, will be 2 different lengths. You should count 18 of each. If not you have the wrong spokes. Not a lot of difference in head lengths so check carefully.
Once you have them sorted, the long ones are for the outers and as HotDog said, lace in from the inside out. Where you have the bent ones now.
Good luck.

PS: Nice looking hub/wheel, congrats on the clean up!

i apperiate the advice but the long ones are already on the outsides.. double checked. and still no dice.

Must be the wrong set of spokes.

Do you have any of the old ones for a compare? Even if you cut the old ones, you just need the ends for a comparison.

Otherwise, check with MikesXS.

Must be the wrong set of spokes.

Do you have any of the old ones for a compare? Even if you cut the old ones, you just need the ends for a comparison.

Otherwise, check with MikesXS.

i bought the package deal from mikes. 16 rim with stainless spoke set. i'll post pics of it not lining up. it's the the rim hole is 1/8 off. the inners went on without issue..

Hey malloym, did you get the spoke issue sorted out yet? I'm having the exact same problem. I just bought a rear firestone so i have to get this figured out. I'm thinking custom outer spokes from buchanan's with a slightly longer spoke head by about a mm or so. The wheel will never get trued with stress on the spokes like that. Inners are fine. I'm thinking that if i ran it like that, the spokes may break. Even worse the hub.

Yes, please tell us what's up. Spokes wrong? Rim wrong? You were wondering about hub diameters and widths but I really think they're all the same with maybe just slight variations due to the manufacturing process.

Back