issues with lacing rear wheel...( mikesxs rim)

Here's my experiance. MikesXS Al wheel & SS spoke kit for drum brake.

Outer spokes needed pushed over 90* via the wood, vise and hammer method. Not that big of a deal.

Spokes too short especially outers. I found a few longer ones for the outers and methodically laced wheel only turning each spoke a thread or two making sure to save the long outers for last in case I needed them and I did.

This was possibly due to the horrible weld and grind job during mfg of the rim. After lacing and attempting to true with an old motorcrosser to no avail, I broke the wheel down one last time and readyed myself for one last lace and true with my machinist mind on full alert. After lacing with all the spokes loose using the method above I rigged up two and could have used 3 or 4 dial gauges.
1962690_10203260436614678_1352081350_n.jpg

The day and days leading up to this I talked to a bike shop, two motorcycle shops, two friends who laced wheels, BMX and MX, and Hugh from HHB. All of them gave me some great advice and told me that every rim is square and wobbly. So I decided to take it slow and easy. In the end I got it as close as I believe it can get. .010 thou left to right and .010 thou up and down with jumps of .015 and .020 here and there where the weld/grind job is and where a few little dimple dents are. I'm pleased but not convinced until I get some ride time. I was super excited so I mounted up the tire and of course when I went to fill it there was a leak. I'm guessing a burr on a spoke nip or I pinched it putting it on even though I was careful. Side note: the rim from Mikes is very shallow which makes mounting the tire somewhat more difficult.
10003465_10203268304811378_1867250552_n.jpg

You guys have saved me a ton of money. I'm actually going the opposite direction. I'm lacing a 16" 48 spoke Heritage hub to an 18" rim. I was going to go with Buchannons and have the custom dimple and drill a rim for me.
Thanks

Sorry to jump in so late on this but. I an having a wheel week of hell. I laced up two sets of wheels this week. The first was the standard 36 21 front and 16 rear. The rear was a pain and had the same bending spokes issues as everyone else. But not too bad. Just a had to convince a few of them to get in there by a little bending, will take the m assist and remove some of the powered coating to fix it.

My real problem came with the second set. 64 spoke 21 on front, using mikes xs ss spokes and mikes rim. Went together fine, actually really well. I was surprised I got it on the first try. With confidence high I tried to tackle the 48 spoke rear 16, this one Also came from mikes, but is not the stainless spokes, they were out and had the kit with rim on clearance for cheap. So I bit. Got the pattern right and began. Going great again until it came to the outer spokes. Here is where it gets weird. The outer shorts fit fine, but the outer longs are to short. Figured it was me. So I pulled it apart and repeated, and repeated, and repeated. Still the same shit. So I contacted mikes after days of waiting they told me the same thing allthe ladies do. It's not them it's me. So now I am at an impass. The wheel is laced with the long outers not long enough.

Any one have any thoughts or know of were I can get longer outer spokes. I was wondering if the ss spokes would be correct but mikes won't give me any measurements.
Any advice or help would be great, thanks

Attachments

• 20140430_205722.jpg
    20140430_205722.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 20140430_205633.jpg
    20140430_205633.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 168
Back