It runs better when I shake it

btxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the carbs off (BS38) and cleaned and they were dry all winter. Got new carb boots from TSR and pods from Mikes XS (had those small cheap ones before). Just put new gas in it and tried to start her up for the season and gas leaks from the air mixture screws! They did stop leaking after the bike ran for a few minutes the first time. First it would only run without the choke. After it warmed up, then it would only run with the choke on and the right side kept trying to quit. If I give the bike a good shake, it would run better for a few seconds. It ran good before I cleaned the carbs and dried them out, so I didn't mess with the floats or make any other adjustments. Just cleaned them and blew out the jets. I always run an inline filter too with clear fuel line so I know it's not dirt. Seems like maybe a float problem?

tryi cleaning out the petcocks. i was amazed how much shit fell out of mine when i took the back covers off.

some of the 38 carbs have a mesh screen above the #5 float needle seat check it for crud but "runs better when you shake it" sounds more like fuel/float level problem

Attachments

• 38mm carb.JPG
    38mm carb.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 90
Instead of shaking it, hit the bowls hard with a screwdriver handle and if it runs better then, it's likely a stuck needle valve.

I know it's not a petcock issue or crud in the tank. It's a brand new petcock and as I said, I run a clear fuel line so you can see the gas flow from the tank to the carbs. I'm hoping that since they were dry, they just needed gas to sit in them for awhile to work its way through everything and allow the gaskets and o rings to swell up a bit. I know enough to be dangerous but still not enough to be really good at this stuff.

Well, I let turned off the gas and let it sit overnight with rags under it. It stopped leaking. I put a new set of plugs in her and she started right up and ran like hell the next day. All I can figure is that the seals and o rings had shrunk while being dry and once they had time to soak and swell up a bit, everything found its place. Beats me, but it's running great again now with no fuel leaks!

Back