ITS ALIVE!!!!!!! kind of :(

motorkiller31

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I got the scooter to start and run for a minute, but its taking some help (starting fluid). I can rev it couple times but then it falls on its face and needs help to start again.
just rebuilt the carbs, new exhuast.
any help or ideas would be great.

motorkiller31,

Well, we will need a lot more detail than that to help you.

1. Year / model of the engine and bike.
2. type of ignition.
3. Type of carbs.
4. Type of exhaust.
5. Type of gas you are using.
6. Type of fuel filter you are using.
7. Type of petcocks you are using.
8. Type of air filters you are using.
9. Gas in the tank?
10. Battery condition (voltage)
11. Type of and condition of spark plugs.

1980 xs650 special
stock carbs, ignition
TC bros exhaust kit shotgun style
87 octane
gatorade bottle tank for now.
no filter right now
no petcock right now
ebay pod filters removed after first start
battery is brad new fully charged
kick start only

motorkiller,

Well, are you sure that the Gatorade bottle is feeding fuel to the carbs? Try draining the carb bowls to see if there is any fuel there. With the drain plugs removed, turn on the Gatorade bottle and check for fuel flow.

motorkiller31;

Sounds like a lack of fuel. For starting you need a very rich mixture (choke). The fuel for that rich mixture comes from a very tiny orifice in the bottom of the float bowls. Did you confirm that tiny orifice was clear?

When you re-built the carbs did you confirm that they are the correct jets? Are you using the old MJ and PJ's or have you installed new ones? If you used the old PJ's, are you sure they are 100% clear? Are the float levels set correctly?

Alright so I checked the bowls good flow there.
I didn't see an orifice in the fuel bowl. I do have a little tube that sticks in to the bowl.
I just used the stock jets and needle. Carbs are not my strong suit but I want to learn. if anyone has pictures of what I should be checking that would help.
thank you for all the help so far.

motorkiller look in the tech tab. You will find pictures, diagrams, and supporting reference material to get your fuel problems sorted.

Alright so I checked the bowls good flow there.
I didn't see an orifice in the fuel bowl. I do have a little tube that sticks in to the bowl.
I just used the stock jets and needle. Carbs are not my strong suit but I want to learn. if anyone has pictures of what I should be checking that would help.
thank you for all the help so far.

The fact that you did not realize there is a small orifice in the float bowl, means your knowledge on these carbs is weak. That's OK as long as you are trying to learn.

Here is a pic of the float bowl from my 78SE. You can disregard all the stuff in the centre of the picture, because your 1980 bowl does not have that. Your main jet and pilot jet are built into the carb body. Look at the items labeled "choke". There is a very tiny orifice at the bottom.................you need to be able to see light through it from both ways. Soak it with carb cleaner and use a small wire to poke it until it is completely clear. Some compressed air may help also. The long brass tube has some holes............they must be clear also.

I suspect you did not look to carefully at the pilot jet either. It lives under that rubber plug. Remove the jet and shine a strong light to see if it is completely clear. Again use carb cleaner/compressed air and a small wire to poke it. Don't use anything that will enlarge the orifice.............that's not good.

Read the "carb guide: in the "Tech" section.

Just a few days ago, my friends 1980SG would not start for him. I took off his carbs and found the pilot jets were partially blocked. Once cleared, it started right up. I also adjusted his mixture screws using the "Dead Cylinder" method. His bike is running top notch now.

Attachments

• Float Bowl mod1.JPG
    Float Bowl mod1.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 78
Thank you everyone who helped she is purring like a pissed off cat.

it was that little orifice

you learn something new everyday

Well done, and you just earned extra points for coming back and telling others what the cure was. Many lads don't reply back, so its like a book with the last chapter missing.

We all need to learn something new every day.:thumbsup:

Back