It's past time to start XS2 Resurrection

Nice work Greg! The evolution of the old girl continues. It’s nice to hear that your big bore kit payed off! 🙂 Sorry to hear about your gasket squeezing out on you. I hope you can put off pulling the motor until the riding season is over. 👍

Ahhh... gotcha.
I'll go shitcan mine right now while I'm thinkin' about it. :sneaky:

When I bought the kit I also bought a extra head and base gasket. When I fix it I will not use the base gasket. I think I'll just use #4.

Last edited:
This is the first problem I've had with any base gaskets moving. My spare engine has close to 10k miles on it. Green Athena gasket with red grease. Not sure why this one moved.
To be clear this gasket is green, it did not come from a Athena gasket kit. It came with the big block kit.

The factory used yamabond or somesuch? At least it's always been a scraper/razor fight getting base gaskets off after a decade or 5.

This is the first problem I've had with any base gaskets moving. My spare engine has close to 10k miles on it. Green Athena gasket with red grease. Not sure why this one moved.
To be clear this gasket is green, it did not come from a Athena gasket kit. It came with the big block kit.

Definitely looks like yours kinda crumbles and squirt out the bottom.

As much as it sucks, might just be a bum one.

Thanks I'll start the search
How did you get the inside nut attached ?
I just started to google bulkhead fittings but from what I've seen so far you need access to the inside
I drilled a hole in the can and used a bulkhead (pass through) fitting.

Thanks I'll start the search
How did you get the inside nut attached ?
I just started to google bulkhead fittings but from what I've seen so far you need access to the inside
Iirc, I taped the fitting to a piece of wire.... coat hanger maybe and just took my time working it down into place. Taped a piece of metal to a box end wrench to hold it while I tightened it. Just imagine yourself building a "ship in a bottle"... seems to help somehow. :wink2:

I'll give it a try when I get home I would think my local full service hardware center should have what I need
Thanks !!

Back