I've got a stutter...

WildStripes

Drip Drop Drippin
Reaction score
Just got my xs back together and took her for a teat ride. Runs well at low rpms. But at about 3000 it starts to stutter and i really can't get past that point it gets so bad. I've got open pipes and pod filters everything else is stock on the bike.

it wont go past that point or you wont try to go past that point. if it wont go past that point, your mains are too small. goto 140's, and up your pilot one size.
what pods do you have? the cheap emgos? the xsperformance k&n knockoff that mikes sells? they both block the air jet.

sounds like it could be dirty carbs, incorrect float level, clogged fuel tank vent, or restricted fuel line. Even small jets should get you past 3000 rpm.

A little bit of both, if I give it mode throttle it just stutters harder. And yea cheap pods but I've tried running without them and got the same results

Go to the tech section, find the link for the carb guide, read it.

Angus67, where do you get off prescribing #140 mains when you don't know what carburetor the man has? On OEM carbs that could put him anywhere from 2 steps up to 7 steps up, depending on the model of the carburetor. If the PO hung VM's on the bike you'd have him leaner than a winter coyote.

sorry..sheesh, thought he had a stock 80. I veiwed his public profile after your careing post, and he has a 77. I assume he has stock 38's. did you know that? dosnt read like you did.
glad your around. I admire your knowledge of the xs650. You helped alot in biulding the garage.
Let this be a lesson to all of you to put your bikes info in your signature.
I'll just tuck my tail, and go now.

Hard to read and post from a cell phone... I have BS38s that i have recently torn down and cleaned, everything was set stock and looked as it should. Sort of new to adjusting carbs and am in the process of studying the carb guides and the haynes manual.

Open pipes and cheap pods - I probably couldn't even tune that, lol.

Chances are that the baffles are going back in as the neighbors are hating me, lol. But i may have found another problem. the right side spark plug boot is just sitting on there not making good contact. Gonna get some new boots and wires and see what happens.

Also what do you guys recommend for filters?

Open pipes and cheap pods - I probably couldn't even tune that, lol.

Forreal! I'm still dealing with PO's descions to gut the pipes. :doh: Why try to fix an exhaust problem by changing the carb? lol I'm getting new pipes asap.

UNI only. They are the best pods money can buy.

I'm still thinking you should take a look at your advance unit and make sure it's not opening too early or late.

Baffles back in, new boots for the plugs and some minor adjustment on the carbs.

went for another teat ride (way kinky) and its smooth as butter. She purrs like a kitten and roars like a tiger. Never owned an xs before this one and now i am excited to see what these machines are capable of.:thumbsup: Thanks for the help guys

Back