JBM Industries -Carb Holders/Intake Boots

bluebikerblan

Geezer
Reaction score
It was brought to my attention that JBM is out of inventory of the angled carburetor holding /intake boots - BS 38 Mikuni CV. (Thanks Tony!) Their next scheduled press run is still sometime out. Inventory for other model boots is short as well.

I had a good discussion with Don James of JBM Industries today. Their business is brisk for both his carb diaphragms and carb holders. He confirms that supply is and will be increasingly short (particularly for the boots) before additional production can be realized.

They mold specific products sequentially in quantity, fill open orders first and then sell from inventory, both directly and via eBay.

Should you be needing JBM Carb Holders/Intake Boots) soon, it would be in your best interest to have an open order for same in the JBM backlog! No billing takes place until after production and upon shipping to you. An order now/soon will be first in line.

Moreover...Don't count on or wait to see them for sale on eBay this year!

http://www.jbmindustries.com/

This advice based on my personal opinion with the knowledge of Don James. Blue

Last edited:
Good advice! I contacted him in late fall when I needed a set of boots. He gave me a date, then came back and said he managed to find a set of cores and molded me a pair within a week. Good to let him know you're in need though.

Kent

I just ordered a set for 34's as well. Thanks Blue.
I talked to him and he said because of fuel prices, rubber is petroleum based as you know, the rubber prices are going up and up.

I ordered the diaphragms 2 days ago...and I think they're on the way already.

I knew the holders were out of stock and asked in my email if there was a list I could get my name on...but he didn't mention anything when he sent me an invoice for the diaphragms.

Not sure I'm on the list or not. Better call.

I ordered the diaphragms 2 days ago...and I think they're on the way already.

I knew the holders were out of stock and asked in my email if there was a list I could get my name on...but he didn't mention anything when he sent me an invoice for the diaphragms.

Not sure I'm on the list or not. Better call.

Good Idea Yamakazi.

Frankly this approach is just forming and there will need be a catch up period

Thanks for your role in focusing attention on this matter too YK. The open order/backlog approach will (I believe) help JBM with assessing demand, planning raw material acquisition, processing & press run scheduling and being able to quote good required lead times for delivery

JBM's design innovation with excellent TSR compound proves once again that there's always room at the top. They really are proving to be good premium performance products

Business is brisk, but from now on customers will wait weeks or ? to get their order filled sounds like a terrible approach to me.

while we're on the subject of the JBM boots, I was wondering if any of you all use a small washer under the head of the Allen screws. When I tighten them down, they seem to sink pretty far into the rubber, and I wouldn't want to mess them up. Was thinking a small thin washer would spread the pressure a bit. Anyone else done this, or felt the need?

When I talked to him he said a person from China ordered mostly all of his 38's. He said it is very hard to tell what people want. He doesn"t make the rubber, only forms them, so trying to get a "handle" on how many to make is almost impossible. He said he might have a run on 34's, then VM's, then 38's, but he can't forshadow the amount when he makes them.
Also, back to being petroleum based, he has to rely on a chemistry company to make the rubber for him. So, he is also waiting on them. Most companies that I deal with go on a daily price basis. They make something at that specific days cost. But if there is something going on, like the oil prices on the fritz, they stand back and slow down production. They don't want to make a ton of stuff with high cost base products then the next day the consumer price drops, leaving them with a ton of items that are overpriced or vise versa. I doubt the oil price will drop though, but they aren't gonna tell you a price when a couple days down the road it could double. Again causing them to lose money.

Yes Em, as a matter of fact I do the same thing....recalling that in the stock situation...those OEM allen bolts actually clamp on the surface of a metal cover that's placed over the boot acting as a flat metal washer. I also use a hex head bolt, slightly longer than stock, since JBM carb holders are thicker (plus gasket, plus the flat washer etc.) Do be concerned about the number ofthreads engaged in the aluminum mounting surface hole. Blue

I find the 'hex heads' are easier to work with in this case than trying to get a 'allen head'
wrench in this location. Blue

Don replied to my email regarding the out-of-stock 38's, and told me he'd print off my request, tape it to his wall and send me an invoice when they're back in stock. One step closer...

Don James just advised me that he molded the last of his available compound in a production run of BS 38 angled boots 76-79 today. Those who placed an order recently will likely get it filled quite soon. As well, there are a few BS 34's still available. Blue

The kit will fit aftermarket 34-36mm Mikuni VM Roundslide Carbs. Will not fit stock 34mm CV, stock 38mm, or Mikuni 38mm VM Roundslide Carbs.

Back