Jetting advice when switching to pods?

Being that they're the same length as the original 5O2 needle, you can start them in the #3 (middle) slot. That's the usual stock setting for most needles. If you experience break-up under heavy throttle applications in the upper midrange, that will be the indicator that you need to lean your needle setting. Leaning the needle is a double edged sword, so to speak. While it does fix that stumbling in the upper midrange, it also leans the rest of the midrange circuit, making it rather flat and unresponsive. For this reason, it's best to lean your needles as little as possible, just enough to cure that stumbling, no more. This is where those shim washers come into play. If you can cure the stumbling with just a half step needle height change using a washer then that's what you want to do.

NeedleSlots.jpg

A note on shimming the needles in the '78-'79 carb set - they are spring loaded from the bottom so you want to place the shim washer above the e-clip, between it and the thick plastic spacer washer. Placing the washer beneath the e-clip will do nothing to alter the needle's height, only preload that little spring below it a bit more, which accomplishes nothing. With your clip in the stock #3 slot, adding a washer above it will shim the needle down (leaner) 1/2 step and be equivalent to a 2 1/2 setting.

Thanks again 5Twins. I got the carbs rejetted up to 30 on pilot and 142.5 on main. I'm running mikes"xs performance oval filters". I got lucky with finding that set of 5z1s i guess.. i swaped over to those also. Your pics are fabulous. thank you again. I had way too much fun putting all this stuff together, as per your advice. The bike runs pretty darn good now. I rode it about 15 miles to the inspection station, and the guy who runs the place complemented me on how well the carbs are tuned. To my surprise though , he didn't pass the bike, apparently the steering stem bearings have a little bit of a flat spot at dead on. So now i have to install the All Balls... bummer ...lol... another upgrade. Back to the carbs...I really wouldn't know any comparison of how the bike ran with stock airboxes and stock jet/needle.. i bought the bike with varnished carbs ,bad petcocks and a rusty tank. so any kind of continuous fuel ignition for me is a good thing.. i have yet to expierience sputtering,cutting out or bogging.. but then again , i've only been out there on it for 30 or so miles... hopefully i"ll get the bike legal in a few days after i install these bearings.

You'll be glad you installed the tapered bearings, they're a very worthwhile upgrade. Sounds like your carbs are set up pretty good. Some minor glitches may come to light as you start putting more miles on and get to run the bike at all different speeds and throttle openings. As I mentioned earlier, if your needles are set in the stock #3 slot, they may need to be leaned with the larger mains. Test for this by grabbing absolute full throttle at about 3K and running up to near redline. Do this in like 3rd or 4th gear. If you get any break-up or stumbling in the 4 to 5K range, lean the needles. If leaning the needles won't fix it, you'll need to go down a size on the mains.

I 've ridden the bike a bit ,maybe a hundred miles or so, including highway. I'm not exactly sure of what the bike is really supposed to feel like as far as torque /power, and or throttle response. I have concluded that top end speed is lacking with this machine, but 50MPH feels fast. ( its a good slow) reminds me of my 86 charger runabout ski boat. "
What exactly is "stumbling"? would it be surging? cutting out? hunting? The throttle seemed pretty resposive when i opened it up at just about any exceptable rpm or gear.. It did however start to idle high after it got a little warm or hot from blasting around.. it would take a few seconds or longer to "calm down" back to 1100 or so .. and i found myself messing with the idle screw..
Should i set the mix screws differently from factory specs after putting in the #30 pilot, the 142.5 main , and the 5z1 at the 2.5 groove height? I started thinking the carb boots or throttle linkage seals were leaking air ( did not replace throttle/butterfly seals) nor have i checked for air leaks.. .. i'm not sure what the deal is yet.. Thanks for your expertise Twins!!
I'll try the full throttle test in 3rd or 4th and look for hesitation/ stumbling?

Stumbling /breakup = vrooooooooooooom ...-------------vroo-----------vroooooooooooooom------vro----vroooooooooom...... LOL!! i needed a sound effect ,i guess.

Back