Joe Wiseguy 2-1 or XS Performance Carb Kit?

daymay801

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which would you guys recommend? I'm sick of fighting with my old carbs so I'm just going to upgrade them.
I can't decide if I should go for a 2-1 intake with a 36mm Mikuni Roundslide carb, or if I should order the Performance Carb Kit from Mikes XS?
Any recommendations or feedback about either system would be great, Thanks!

I have never used the 2-1 intake but Joe Wiseguy (Marvin) is a stand up guy and I have heard nothing but good things about his work.

I do have experience with the Mike's carbs and will say that if you are sick of fighting carbs then steer clear of them. Some people have had good luck with them, but the quality is real hit and miss. I spent over $600 and three months to get mine working properly. If you have the time and money to invest in them then they really do perform well. However, it sounds like you don't want to mess with it.

If you do a "Search" on this site you will find out that the so called Performance Carbs from Mikesxs are sub-standard quality (made in Taiwan not Japan) and cause lots of problems.

The stock Mikuni carbs are high quality (BS 34 or 38) and you should not give up on them. Sure they are old, but with a little bit of reading of the carb guide and with help from the carb guru's on this site, you can bring those carbs up to working just like new. What exactly is wrong with your carbs?

Maybe switching to a couple of Mikuni Roundslides would be sweet?
My carbs were great for about a week then they started overflowing with fuel and making the bike run horribly, it acts like it is just barely getting enough fuel to stay running but when you give it throttle it barely raises the rpms. Also, I can't get a good idle, I'll get it running well but as soon as I slow down and come to a stop it idles at a super high rpm for around 10-15 seconds before it comes back down.
I've replaced the floats and re-jetted it but it just keeps giving me problems, I'm thinking maybe I'm just not getting them synched right or something else is wrong that I just haven't thought of.
I'll read through the carb guide and see if I can find anything.

I installed a set of Mikes Performance carbs in my '81/H when they first came out and I have been happy with them ever since. I did recently change the mains down by one notch, but other wise I have had no problems. The bike pulls like never before, idles smooth and accelerates much better than with the stock '34s.

I think that if I was on my way to spending $600 to get the carbs to work to my satisfaction, I would have stopped at about $100! LOL

I went your first option last fall, and have never looked back. I wish I had known of the single-carb option sooner. Many guys swear by the stock BS38s, but mine just seemed to have some boogaboo that I could never pin down. They now watch from a distance while my bike runs better than it ever has since I have owned it, or likely ever.

TC

I think that if I was on my way to spending $600 to get the carbs to work to my satisfaction, I would have stopped at about $100! LOL

Yeah, part of that is just my personality. I enjoy a challenge, but more than that, my foolish pride wouldn't allow me to be beat by a stupid bike. I was going to make those cheap carbs work even if it took every dime I had.

You hit the other point in your statement, "...work to my satisfaction." The tuning issues were relatively minor. The major problem I had was the slides sticking open when I let off. You had said before that your carbs were doing this as well but that you were fine with it. To me, that was an issue. An expensive issue.

I've been mulling the same thing over in my mind. The Mikes carbs have such a divergence of opinions regarding them Im too nervous to drop the money on em.. The single carb route however seems really fucking sexy.

Back